ASA. GH Core passed. Pursuing for FSA Group & Health track.
Anthem Houston, Texas Jun, 2015 - Present
Actuarial Analyst III - Trend Projection
• Collaborate on setting up new trend projection model for the company across all segments by category of service. Dissolve observed trend into large set of components. Normalize trend retrospectively, interpreted and set complex assumptions for projection period. Communicate expense result to pricing organization.
• Organize meeting material for executive level clinical council meeting that discuss hottest topics of finance organization. Work directly with senior leaders to set up agenda, take meeting notes and follow up. Actuarial Analyst II - Transformation, Cost of Care Governance Team/Analytics
• Took part in newly established Anthem Transformation project. Governed and allocated $1.7B annual cost of care savings across segments and states, set up reporting process and communicated out to finance, local pricing team to help set savings target and momentum savings.
• Improved linkage between CoC savings and income statement results. Created model to quantify trend impact by type of service and collaborated with normalized retrospective trend team for implementation to help explain historical trend volatility.
• Utilized predictive modelling analytics to project high-risk group during underwriting. Worked with data science team to apply various regression technique to select the optimal approach. Actuarial Analyst I, II - Commercial Cost of Care Pharmacy
• Created Client Steerage Pricing Model to allow Anthem stay more competitive in retaining local group ASO business by better projecting spend/rebate. Held training sessions to instruct over 30 business consultants utilizing the model and helped reviewed model for troubleshoot.
• Initiated Commercial Rx formulary process that quantifies newly emerged formularies. Produced savings projection to assist on ACA/group pricing and clinical drug tier placement on formulary optimization.
• Trained/oversaw junior staffs on maintenance and enhancement of Rx models.
- Actuarial Analyst III at Actuarial Exams Progress
- Analytics & Predictive Modelling Associate at Wisconsin Foundation
- Actuarial Intern - Pricing and Reserve Team at Church Mutual Insurance Company
4 years at this Job
- B.A. - Math
• Delivered actuarial OPEB valuation reports - GASB and FAS - to be signed by a senior actuary after doing or reviewing valuations
• Implemented novel solutions to valuation problems, in OPEVS, Excel, and FORTRAN
• Trained an independent contractor actuary, new hires, and actuarial interns to do and review valuations
• Saved reviewers time by:
• Consolidating software runs through previously unused or under-used features
• Duplicating software’s entire calculation process in Excel to catch errors before sending valuations for review
• Worked out census data and plan provisions with clients
• Updated actuarial valuation spreadsheets according to regulations
• Received annual raises
- Actuarial analyst at Nicolay Consulting Group
- at Nicolay Consulting Group
- Actuarial assistant at Nicolay Consulting Group
- Private tutor of mathematics at
4 years at this Job
- Master of Arts - Mathematics
- Bachelor of Arts - Mathematics
- Associate of Arts - Mathematics
- - Math and Statistics
Performed quarterly internal reserve reviews to determine the corporate reserve requirements; prepared
presentation materials for firm-wide leadership board
• Created and automated statistical analysis processes using Excel VBA, which improved team reporting efficiency by at least 50%
• Refined actuarial calculations as well as researched and developed analytical models to improve reserve review process, and performed evaluation for optimization
- Actuarial Analyst at ALLSTATE INSURANCE COMPANY OF CANADA
- Actuarial Data Analyst at
1 year, 6 months at this Job
- Master of Science in Financial Mathematics - Probability for Risk Management
- - Research
- Bachelor of Mathematics - Actuarial Science and Statistics
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Provided actuarial services - including benefit design, compliance, funding methods, projections, and risk metrics - to over 400 pension & 600 OPEB clients nationwide, primarily in the public sector and for church plans.
Senior Actuarial Analyst (2015 - 2018)
● Performed calculations and analysis for special projects evaluating plan impact including experience studies, plan design and assumption studies, plan terminations, sensitivity analysis, cash flow projections, and gain/loss analysis.
● Coded and modified valuations and projections for pension & OPEB plans.
● Reconciled and maintained complex Deferred Retirement Option Plans (DROPs), Share Plans, Cash Balance Plans, hybrids, and closed plans.
● Reviewed and managed client work of analysts.
● Trained and mentored five new employees by creating a teaching and thought-provoking environment.
● Handled routine correspondence and phone contact with clients.
- Senior Actuarial Analyst at GABRIEL, ROEDER, SMITH & COMPANY
- Actuarial Analyst at
3 years at this Job
- Bachelor of Science in Actuarial Science - Business & Statistics
Production - solely delivered health insurance renewals to the underwriting and marketing
teams for Texas Mid-Group insurance. Worked closely with the UW and marketing teams to understand our health insurance pricing from a broker's perspective, and created new excel
tools and reports to help assist the marketing team with selling groups. Improved existing UW
and marketing processes by automating their manual work and regularly met with UW and marketing teams to increase their understanding of manual rating and pricing.
● Reporting - created new renewal reports and expanded existing reports for actuarial management to assist in pricing decisions and enhanced existing reports through automation and quality checking; these reports were used to identify manual rating trends, loss ratio trends, and intervention trends that would factor into our pricing decisions.
● Pricing - worked in a team to develop a new, SQL-based rating engine for new business quoting and renewals. This new, SQL-based rating engine existed in Microsoft SQL Server under actuarial control and was replacing an old, Java-based rating engine under IT control. Developed new rating factors for outdated factors and consistently updated existing factors through factor studies. Priced hundreds of new health insurance plans and delivered rates to marketing.
● IT Support - frequently conducted regression testing for internal tools and supported IT when IT developed new tools and updated existing processes used by other departments throughout the company. Worked closely with IT and other departments to ensure the high-level process was smooth for all the involved parties.
- Actuarial Analyst at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas
- Actuarial Intern at
1 year, 2 months at this Job
- Bachelor of Science - Actuarial Science Option
- Actuarial Analyst at Zurich North America
- Account Executive (Core and Voluntary) at AIG
- Underwriting Benefits Consultant at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co
- Underwriting Intern at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co
2 years at this Job
- Bachelor of Arts - Actuarial Science
- Bachelor of Science - Finance
- Brokered Fac Reinsurance, Commercial Property
• Reviewed/analyzed submissions; reviewed monthly portfolio analyses in order to determine the necessity to adjust account pricing by various regions and/or perils.
• Contributed to internal development of in-house catastrophe modeling/pricing platform, collaborating with actuarial and IT support teams.
- Actuarial Analyst at XL/Catlin
- Catastrophe Underwriting Analyst - Brokered Facultative Division at Catlin Underwriting (Catlin
- Catastrophe Underwriting Analyst & Property Underwriting Assistant at Wellington Underwriting, Inc
- Senior Risk Management Technician at Wellington Underwriting, Inc
2 years at this Job
- Associate in Arts
- Various courses/seminars: CPCU, CCRA (RMS), ISCM, Business Analytics
• Reserving analyst supporting Auto and Homeowners lines of business
• Develop IBNR factors for each line of business by Accident Year based on triangle history
• Manage IBNR factors monthly, ensuring the company is reserved adequately and accurately
• Carry out month-end validations for premiums and reserves and conduct complete reserve analysis for all lines of business at year-end
• Correspond with state regulatory department to gather data
• Maintain frequent communication with the IT department on improving the data processing
• Conduct data preparation, production, and analysis on special projects within the Actuarial team
- Junior Actuarial Analyst - Reserving at MAIDSTONE INSURANCE COMPANY
- Actuarial Analyst - Pricing at AN AMERICAN NATIONAL COMPANY
- Data Analyst at BRIGHTON HEALTH PLAN SOLUTIONS
9 months at this Job
- - Actuarial Science
• Analysis of census data, liabilities, assets and reporting
• Develop and utilize actuarial models; analyze healthcare costs and utilization data
• Produce reports using spreadsheets and databases
• Draft written reports and other correspondence
• Prepare presentations for consulting actuaries
• Create templates in MS Word for valuation reports
- Actuarial Analyst at Cavanaugh McDonald Consulting
- Administrative Assistant at Cavanaugh McDonald Consulting
- Spanish and Art Teacher at Kennesaw First Baptist Christian School
- Legal Assistant (Internship) at Sessoms and Virguez, LLC
5 months at this Job
- Bachelor of Science - Forensic Behavioral Science
Plan and construct new reports with senior Actuarial leaders
● Build and document datasets for use in modeling
● Test and validate new modeling efforts with existing business
- Actuarial Analyst at Hallmark Financial Services
- Product Analyst at Hallmark Financial Services
- Graduate Assistant at Southern Methodist University
- Graduate Assistant at University of South Carolina
11 months at this Job
- PhD - economics
- Master of Arts - Macroeconomics
- Bachelor of Business Administration - Finance