C ity Colleges of Chicago is the largest community college system in Illinois and one of the largest in the nation, with seven colleges and six satellite sites).
June 2014 - Present
Associate General Counsel
• Review and preparation of all contracts for goods and services on behalf of the District and all satellite locations,
• Handle all aspects of real estate transactions; including but not limited to purchases, review of construction agreements, evaluation of environmental issues and transfers of property from the city of Chicago; and drafting of intergovernmental agreements.
• Provide legal counsel to management, faculty and staff on various legal matters affecting the District;
• Represent the District and satellite locations in administrative hearings;
• Provide advice and counsel to the General Counsel, and the departments on issues involving academic policies, real estate and compliance.
- Associate General Counsel at City Colleges of Chicago - Office of the General Counsel
- Director of Compliance at Chicago State University
- Chief Attorney, Corporate Transactions and Litigation at Chicago Transit Authority
- Adjunct Professor at Loyola University School of Paralegal Studies
3 years, 1 month at this Job
- J.D. - Law
- B.A. - Sociology
Associate General Counsel Provide legal advice to various business areas of Health Care Service Corporation on matters relating to provider networks, ASO groups, producer services, privacy and security, procurement, member certificates, RFPs, FOIA requests, and government certifications; draft and negotiate all types of agreements for internal clients in all assigned areas; handle pre-litigation matters; and perform other duties as assigned. YMCA of the USA, Chicago, Illinois 2/2016 to 8/2016 Associate General Counsel Lead attorney for the Healthy Living Department's Management Services Organization; supervise one attorney and one paralegal; draft and negotiate various commercial contracts, including IT, third party payer, and other vendor and supplier contracts; review marketing and other internal and external communications for compliance with applicable laws and regulations; counsel clients on compliance with federal, state and local laws and regulations in connection with the Management Services Organization's activities relating to the diabetes prevention and other chronic disease prevention programs of the YMCA of the USA; train YMCA of the USA and Local YMCA staff on compliance, including, without limitation, HIPAA, fraud and abuse, national provider identifiers, and other applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations; develop HIPAA and Fraud and Abuse Compliance Plans; conduct onsite compliance audits of Local YMCAs; advise on federal and private grant funding applications and compliance with applicable laws and regulations; and perform other duties as assigned.
- Associate General Counsel at Health Care Service Corporation
- Associate General Counsel at Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association
- Associate at Bingham Greenebaum Doll LLP
- Physician Organizations, Newsletter and E-Mail Alert Editor at American Health Lawyers Association
6 months at this Job
- Juris Doctorate - Research and Writing Staff
- Bachelor of Arts in Communications - Corporate
Parsippany, New Jersey
Litigation, Risk Management, and Contract Negotiation, November 2015 - Present
Associate General Counsel
• Responsible for high-exposure and complex litigation involving York Risk Services Group, including disputes involving client and vendors, insurance coverage and bad faith issues, and employee claims.
• Prepare and negotiate a wide-variety of commercial contracts related to clients, suppliers/vendors, and professional services.
• Provide practical advice and guidance on regulatory and compliance matters.
• Lead internal investigations regarding operational errors and omissions and employee disputes.
• Provide recommendations for the improvement of internal operational procedures with a focus on mitigating legal risk and exposure.
• Communicate regularly with senior management regarding litigation, financial reserves, internal investigations, and legal risk and exposure mitigation.
• Develop procedures for assigning and managing outside counsel.
• Prepare employees for depositions and hearings.
• Participate in mediation in various jurisdictions.
- Associate General Counsel at YORK RISK SERVICES GROUP, INC
- Senior Counsel at GORDON REES SCULLY MANSUKHANI, LLP
- Associate at SCHWARTZ SIMON EDELSTEIN CELSO AND KESSLER, LLP
- Associate at KISSEL PESCE HIRSCH & WILMER, LLP
3 years, 2 months at this Job
- Juris Doctor - INTERNATIONAL LAW
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology and Sociology - Psi Chi National Psychology
ASSOCIATE GENERAL COUNSEL, ELCA
• Identifying, assessing, and managing legal risks with potential to result in litigation or damage the organization's brand
• Functioning as sole counsel assigned to data security, corporate policy review, and crisis management teams (drafting public statements and reviewing press releases)
• Representing the organization's interest in $330M of endowed assets
• Overseeing U.S. privacy law compliance and leading GDPR compliance efforts
• Counseling internal clients on a variety of intellectual property issues
• Negotiating and drafting licensing, confidentiality, employment, creative services, information technology, and federally funded disaster response agreements with FEMA and other cooperating entities
• Providing counsel to business leaders in connection with third-party relationships, board governance, commercial contracts, and transactional matters
• Creating processes and procedures and assisting with general misconduct and sexual misconduct investigations including issues involving minors DIRECTOR OF REGULATORY COMPLIANCE, ELCA Mission Investment Fund
• Ensured compliance with federal requirements including BSA, financial privacy, IRS regulations, IRA program management, and ACH rules
• Prepared annual offering circular ($317M) and securities registrations ($700M) DIRECTOR OF TRUST ADMINISTRATION, ELCA Foundation
• Executed the administration of $650M in endowment assets
• Served as Assistant Secretary of the Endowment Fund Board of Trustees
• Led decisions around the administration of more than $70M in charitable trust assets and more than $60M in gift annuity assets
• Moderated special charitable gifts committee to oversee the acceptance of complex assets
• Performed tasks related to legal compliance and managed state securities registrations
• Coordinated the resolution of legal issues with outside counsel
- ASSOCIATE GENERAL COUNSEL, ELCA at Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA)
- STAFF ATTORNEY at Office of the Standing Chapter
- ATTORNEY at Favors Law Firm, L.L.C
2 years, 10 months at this Job
- Master's - Public Policy and Administration
- Juris Doctor
- Master's - Theology and Ethics
- Bachelor's - History, Pre-Law
Farmington Hills, MI ..June 2014 - Present
(A German-based automotive supplier specializing in anti-vibration solutions)
Associate General Counsel
Manage the legal departments for regions North America and South America, including providing legal support in the areas of contract analysis, negotiation, and drafting; compliance; environmental matters; data protection; intellectual property; real estate; corporate secretarial duties; labor and employment; and a variety of onsite training topics. Maintain global roles supporting the key account managers for General Motors, Ford, and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles as well as the company's global intellectual property and data protection groups. Regular travel to Germany, Mexico and Brazil.
• Built the North American Legal Department from the ground up, resulting in better-structured and lower-risk business practices throughout the region
• Contributed to the establishment of the company's compliance policy and training program
• Recognized the need for and developed a global non-disclosure agreement policy and procedure
• Composed training presentations pertaining to harassment and discrimination, data protection, warranty, and contract creation and enforcement
• Successfully managed intra-company negotiations between German and Indian entities regarding introduction of sophisticated air spring technology into the Indian market
- Associate General Counsel at VIBRACOUSTIC GmbH
- Associate Counsel at OAKLAND LAW GROUP, PLLC
- Associate at Aidenbaum Schloff and Bloom PLLC
- Associate at BOWMAN AND BROOKE LLP
4 years, 7 months at this Job
- Juris Doctorate - International Law
- Bachelor of Arts - Russian Studies & Minor
- - Leadership Development Training
General counsel service to Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, and University Behavioral Health Care on all aspects of healthcare regulatory, transactional, litigation, risk management, and public research university related issues. Participate in regular senior management meetings; provide advice on legal and strategic questions. Conduct internal investigations involving alleged misconduct of faculty, staff, and students. Manage litigation matters.
- Associate General Counsel at Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
- Senior Vice President and General Counsel at Devereux Advanced Behavioral Health
- Senior Counsel at Hackensack University Medical Center
- Director, Legal Management at University of Medicine and Dentistry of NJ
1 year, 3 months at this Job
- JD, with honors - Law
- BS - Environmental Science
• Draft, negotiate, revise, and review an array of agreements, including, without limitation: license, sales representative, broker, co-packing, supply, employment, vendor, nondisclosure, staffing and service agreements.
• Create new agreements, simplify and update existing templates, and develop internal review process to manage the flow of requests from internal business units.
• Work closely with General Counsel to identify legal risks and provide creative business strategies to promote growth of business and expansion in food and beverage businesses.
• Manage corporate governance, including drafting board consents, operating agreements, and amendments to operating agreements of privately owned, parent food company and subsidiary food and beverage companies.
• Conduct due diligence and assist in closing various commercial and residential real estate acquisitions.
• Review packaging, labeling, and marketing materials of the company's diverse range of products.
• Liase with and manage outside counsel in various litigation matters.
• Assist human resources department in reviewing internal employee handbooks, staffing agreements, and employment policies and procedures.
- Associate General Counsel at GOLDEN WEST FOOD GROUP, INC
- Associate; Summer Associate at BAKER & HOSTETLER LLP
1 year, 8 months at this Job
- Juris Doctor - Southern California Interdisciplinary Law Journal
- Bachelor of Arts degree - Political Science
- - International Communication Study
• Drafted, reviewed and negotiated a wide array of contractual agreements, including service, licensing, credit card, marketing, employment, strategic partnership, supplier and commercial and residential lease agreements with a view to minimizing the risks to which the company is exposed Risk Mitigation
• Assessed and proactively managed risks and exposure to potential liability
• Secured and coordinated the services of external legal counsel when necessary to provide accurate and timely advice on a variety of legal topics as required
• Researched new international, and industry-specific regulations and their effects on company procedures
• Reviewed and evaluated work created by the in-house legal team
• Attended meetings with various teams such as human resources and marketing in order to provide guidance on various legal matters Compliance/Corporate Governance
• Acted as a liaison between local counsel, foreign offices and the shareholders/directors of various non-U.S. entities in order to ensure that all corporate governance requirements were complied with and all deadlines for filings were met
• Specified internal governance policies and regularly monitored compliance across all non-U.S. jurisdictions where the company operates
• Prepared and maintained records of corporate documents for all non-U.S. entities such as board resolutions, powers of attorney and annual returns Labour and Employment
• Collaborated with HR department to draft employment policies, procedures, and manuals and administered multi-departmental training initiatives in these areas
• Prepared a variety of contracts including employment and independent contractor agreements, confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements and separation and release agreements Real Estate
• Drafted, reviewed and negotiated commercial and residential lease agreements
• Prepared correspondence to landlords and tenants in respect of the termination/renewal of tenancies, insurance and repairs
• Reviewed and prepared construction contracts, lease/concession agreements and lease termination and renewal notices Project Management
• Spearheaded all aspects of expansion into new locations including meeting with local stakeholders, attending to the incorporation of corporate entities, applying for required licenses and permits, instructing local counsel and obtaining work permits for managers and staff Litigation
• Collaborated with management and external counsel to devise cost-effective and efficient litigation strategies and negotiate settlements
• Selected and appointed external counsel and monitored their performance and cost Corporate Secretarial
• Attended annual general meetings of directors and shareholders
• Prepared and distributed minutes of meetings and kept stakeholders apprised of significant legal developments
- Associate General Counsel at Diamonds International
- Senior Associate-Corporate/Commercial at Appleby, BVI
- Associate-Corporate/Commercial at O'Neal Webster, BVI
- Project Lawyer (Corporate/Commercial) at Sullivan & Cromwell LLP
3 years, 4 months at this Job
- Certificate - LEC
- Bachelor of Arts - Social Science
Executive assistant to Associate General Counsel and Managing Director for Global
Wealth & Investment Management
• Support team of up to five senior lawyers
• Handle all incoming calls for multiple senior lawyers
• Maintain frequently changing calendars
• Prepare, reconcile, and track expense reports through Concur system
• Arrange frequent travel (flights, cars, trains, hotels)
• Set up and manage Legal Matter Numbers
• Prepare and edit documents, Power Point presentations and excel spreadsheets
• Responsible for arranging quarterly gatherings among legal department
• Arrange volunteer and Pro-Bono events for team
• Work independently on special projects
• Assist in ad-hoc presentations and projects as needed
• Work closely with other senior executive assistants across Bank of America and Merrill Lynch
- Senior Legal Executive Assistant to Associate General Counsel & MD at Bank of America Merrill Lynch
- Executive Assistant to the Head of Global Investments & Solutions at Barclays Wealth Americas
- Administrative Assistant to the Head of Investment Products at Barclays Wealth Americas
- Travel Club Administrator - NY Stars Premier at Super Soccer Stars
4 years at this Job
- Master of Science - Sport Psychology
- Bachelor of Education - Sport Management
In charge of the Company's Labor and Employment Division, directly supervising and managing several in-house lawyers and outside counsel for all labor and employment litigation in federal and state courts and before governmental administrative agencies, including the EEOC, NYS Division of Human Rights, NYC Commission of Human Rights, and the NLRB. Also supervised/advised the Company's Workers' Compensation unit and managed outside counsel and the Company's third-party administrator for workers' compensation litigation.
• Provided supervision of in-house and outside counsel on all labor and employment litigation matters, including high-profile litigation with the EEOC and the NYS Attorney General's Office.
• Provided ongoing advice and counsel and compliance protocols regarding federal, state, and city legislation and regulations affecting the employer-employee relationship, including:
• Developed FMLA, medical marijuana, and workers' compensation protocols.
• Guided the Company's ADA Committee in determining reasonable accommodations.
• Advised on new legislation such as the NYC Earned Sick Time Act.
• Advised and provided protocols to the Company's Social Media Committee regarding the use of social media for disciplinary purposes or to disqualify job applicants.
• Achieved 40% reduction in the annual number of EEOC and State Division of Human Rights discrimination complaint filings over a three-year period by implementing preventive protocols - training sessions and proactive safeguards - with Human Resources and the Office of Diversity and Inclusion.
• Successfully negotiated a settlement with the EEOC via a consent decree filed in the U.S. District Court, S.D.N.Y, as lead in-house attorney, together with outside counsel. The settlement fully resolved EEOC class-type claims of disability discrimination against job applicants, and allegations that various employees were given improper medical restrictions by the Company's Occupational Health department.
• Successfully negotiated a settlement agreement with the EEOC and the NYS Attorney General's Office, as lead in-house attorney, together with outside counsel, fully resolving longstanding class-type claims of over 300 women in non-traditional field titles alleging sex discrimination and harassment
• Worked closely with the Workers' Compensation Board on all matters affecting self-insured employers, including legislation, regulations, and administrative processes to achieve workers' compensation cost reductions of an unprecedented magnitude.
• Served as the Company's principal attorney in successful 2016 contract negotiations with the Company's major union, which also obtained an unprecedented prior commitment that the union would not strike and the Company would not engage in a lookout.
• Legal Advisor to the Company's Named Fiduciary Committee, which is responsible for oversight of the Company's pension and thrift savings plan.
• Provided ongoing advice and counsel regarding benefits matters, including drafting severance agreements and termination notices.
- Associate General Counsel at CONSOLIDATED EDISON COMPANY OF NEW YORK, INC
- Assistant General Counsel at Labor and Employment Division
- Associate Counsel at
- Chief, Workers' Compensation Division at NEW YORK CITY LAW DEPARTMENT
5 years, 10 months at this Job
- Juris Doctor
- Bachelor of Arts - (B.A.), Political Science