• Began as a law clerk during law school. Promoted to Corporate Counsel after passing Arkansas bar.
• Current duties include advising on transactional, contract, and corporate governance issues, compliance matters, risk management, debt collection, internal audits, and direct management of company's 12-member legal department.
• Emphasis has been applicable regulatory frameworks as an issuer of revolving credit; including the Truth In Lending Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, the Bank Secrecy Act, and related frameworks and amendments such as FCBA, CARD Act, GLBA/UDAAPs, etc.
• Directly manage multiple different groups inside the company Legal department and ensuring compliance with laws, regulations, and internal policies. These groups include account disputes, credit bureau reporting, legal collections, bankruptcy processing, new merchant due diligence (including related OFAC/AML/KYC controls), and fraud detection and resolution.
• Also work closely with the Director of Compliance to promulgate new policies and procedures and corresponding controls and testing.
• Assisted with relocation of company headquarters from Springdale, Arkansas to Draper, Utah.
• Work with common industry tools and information, such as credit bureau reports, Dunn and Bradstreet company reporting, TLOxp, Accurint, Lexis Nexis AML, e-Oscar, Salesforce, DocuSign, and others.
• Some self-taught familiarity with data analysis tools, such as R, Python, SQL queries, and advanced excel use.
- CORPORATE COUNSEL at Dent-A-Med, Inc
- STUDENT ATTORNEY - TRANSACTION CLINIC at University of Arkansas Legal Clinic
- LEGAL EXTERN - CONSUMER DEPARTMENT DIVISION at Legal Aid of Arkansas
- LEGAL EXTERN at University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences Office of General Counsel
3 years, 8 months at this Job
- JURIS DOCTOR
• Advised department agency managers on legality of proposed personnel matters and on interpretation of collective bargaining agreement for St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department. Representative Division of Corrections and Police Department in administrative hearings on personnel matters involving the City of St. Louis, the Mayor's Office, preparing pleadings, legal memoranda, pre-and post-trial briefs associated with administrative board actions. Corporate Counsel Peabody Energy Corporation Aug - Nov 2015 (Contract) In-House Counsel at Fortune 500 global coal company. Responsible for North American litigation Oversaw outside counsel, reviewed and approved litigation plans, briefs, and research regarding real estate, oil and gas leases, contract disputes, ERISA, CERCLA, obligations pursuant to merger legacy costs, premises liability, personal injury, corporate governance, employment and labor law. Initiated preservation holds, drafted search terms, produced e-discovery, prepped and defended corporate reps for Rule 30(b)(6) depositions. Monitored developments in environmental regulation, preparing memos interpreting administrative orders, rules, or regulations.
- Corporate Counsel at St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department
- Legislative Affairs Aide at American Bar Association
3 months at this Job
- Juris Doctorate
- Master of Management - Management
- Bachelor of Arts
Corporate Counsel for Bartlett and Company, a leader in the agricultural inputs, grain and milling industries. Substantial experience in negotiating commercial contracts, supplier, repack and distribution agreements, real estate transactions, mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, sales and marketing agreement. Responsible for providing comprehensive legal support to global and US product teams for marketed products. Responsibilities include development of RFPs, drafting and negotiating design-build contracts for multimillion-dollar terminal elevator and fertilizer mix plant development projects, managing and overseeing independent contractors, design-build agreements and deliverable closeout. Substantial training and experience handling matters concerning product registration, and compliance. Oversee and support custom blending to ensure FIFRA compliance. Responsibilities include managing and overseeing environmental programs and compliance initiates including air operating permits, NPDES permits, reporting and compliance programs, waste management and disposal programs. Additional responsivities include overseeing and supporting EHS compliance programs and acting as company liaison with agencies such as COE, DHS, EEOC, EPA, KDHE, OSHA, KDA, FDA, FMCSA and USDA, as well as managing workers compensation claims, return to work programs and litigation.
- Corporate Counsel at BARTLETT AND COMPANY, L.P
- Sr. Attorney/Director at SCHWAN'S GLOBAL SUPPLY CHAIN, INC
- at SCHWAN'S GLOBAL SUPPLY CHAIN, INC
- General Counsel & Director of Human Resources, Safety & Compliance at ABILENE MACHINE, INC
8 years at this Job
- - Food Safety Modernization Act
- - Management
- - Registered Environmental Manager
- Juris Doctor
- Bachelor of Science - Business Administration/Computer Science
Corporate Counsel responsible for operation of in-house legal department of mid-size commercial debt collection agency. Familiar with rules and regulations relating to FDCPA, and FTC. Drafting and preparation of all pleadings, complaints, discovery, law and motion (including oppositions and reply briefs), trial preparation, trial briefs, pre-trial filings, post trial judgments, writs of attachment/possession/execution, wage levies, bank levies, sheriff keepers, post judgment remedies (discovery, seizure and turnover orders, orders for appearance and examination (ORAPS) to collect and ultimately satisfy judgment.
- Corporate Counsel at CONTINENTAL COMMERCIAL GROUP
- Litigation Paralegal at LAW OFFICES OF ALAN D. WILNER
- Litigation Paralegal at ROUSSO & HEALD
20 years, 9 months at this Job
- Doctorate - Law
Corporate Counsel for multifamily and senior housing developer and investment management and property management firm. Responsible for negotiating and closing real estate acquisitions and dispositions, financings, crowdfunding securities offerings and joint ventures.
- Corporate Counsel at Lloyd Jones Capital
- US Counsel/ Country Manager at NGC Partners
- Senior Attorney - Project Finance at NextEra Energy Resources
- Enterprise Counsel at
6 months at this Job
- Juris Doctorate - Law
- Master of International Affairs - International Affairs
- Bachelor of Arts - English and Political Science
Providing counsel to Company managers and executives on insurance regulatory, SEC, tax, and general corporate issues; managing consumer complaints and litigation against the Company; drafting contracts.
- Corporate Counsel at National Western Life Insurance Company
- Law Clerk at National Western Life Insurance Company
- Law Clerk at Texas Association of School Boards, Inc
- Judicial Intern at Texas Association of School Boards, Inc
1 year, 2 months at this Job
- B.A. - Political Science
• Worked as Corporate Counsel for a private investigation company, specializing in worker's compensation claims.
• Observed private investigation surveillance videos to prepare as evidence.
• Created reports for client companies for settlement negotiations and court evidence.
- Corporate Counsel at Private Solutions, Inc
- Paralegal at Butler Law Firm
- Case Manager at Blue Ridge Behavioral Healthcare
2 months at this Job
- Juris Doctorate
- Bachelor of Science - Criminal Justice
Develop corporate policy and position on legal issues regarding human resources, regulatory compliance, corporate compliance, governmental affairs and growth initiatives; Draft, negotiate and manage all corporate contracts and subcontracts with vendors, customers, and employees; Ensure corporate compliance with laws and regulations; Represent company in legal proceedings in appropriate jurisdictions; Advise on pre-litigation and litigation and settlement of legal disputes and e-discovery; Consult with and manage outside counsel on complex litigation; Coordinating outside tax and accounting teams.
- Corporate Counsel at M & M Crushed Stone Products, Inc.
- DIRECTOR OF CONTRACTING at HVHC INC
- SENIOR CONTRACT ANALYST at KINETIC CONCEPTS, INC
- GENERAL COUNSEL at WEALTH & WISDOM, INC
5 years at this Job
- JURIS DOCTOR - Law
- Bachelor of Arts - Psychology
- Senior Corporate Counsel at Tutor.com
- Corporate Counsel at TheStreet, Inc.
2 years, 7 months at this Job
- B.A. - English
• Review, draft and negotiate various agreements (NDAs, IT/service agreements, distribution agreements, marketing agreements, consulting agreements, content agreements, licensing agreements)
• Work closely with all business teams to identify potential risks associated with a new or current opportunity, and develop solutions to mitigate such risks while maintaining business objectives
• Developed and manage contracts database and tracking system
• Communicate and collaborate with outside counsel for specialized matters (e.g. IP, employment law)
• Provide general corporate governance support
- Corporate Counsel at NextVR Inc.
- Corporate Contracts Paralegal at Newport Corporation
- Corporate Paralegal and Executive Assistant to the CFO at Mindspeed Technologies, Inc
- Corporate Paralegal at ThoughtWorks, Inc
2 years, 4 months at this Job
- Juris Doctor
- Paralegal Certificate - Paralegal Studies
- BS - Business Management