89512, United States of America
Dr. Lisa Smyth-Roam, Supervising Criminalist, Forensic Science Biology Unit
• Screen items of evidence for the presence of biological materials and testify about findings in court.
- Criminalist II at Washoe County Sheriff's Office
- Scientist II at One Lambda, Inc
- Undergraduate Pharmacology and Neuroscience Research Assistant at Seattle Children's Research Institute - Center for Integrative Brain Research
9 months at this Job
- Bachelor of Science - Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology
Direct all aspects of the daily operation in the department, including assigning casework, personnel management, performing and guiding the examination of a wide variety of evidentiary material, overseeing the preparation of laboratory reports and quality control activities of the Criminalists, and monitoring the maintenance of the laboratory finding records.
• Contributed to the 30% reduction in the case backlog by effectively managing Criminalists and support staff in the laboratory.
• Built a high-performance team through recruitment, coaching, mentoring, and evaluating members.
• Assured compliance with various aspects of the American Society of Crime Laboratory Directors - Laboratory Accreditation Board (ASCLD/LAB) requirements through collaborative efforts with laboratory standards.
- CRIMINALIST SUPERVISOR at New York City Police Department Laboratory
- CRIMINALIST at New York City Police Department Laboratory
- CRIMINALIST TRAINER at New York City Police Department Laboratory
- TECHNICIAN B at New York Presbyterian Hospital, Pathology Department, Autopsy Service
7 years, 7 months at this Job
- Bachelor of Science - Forensic Science
Analyzed evidence and performed DNA extraction, amplification, quantification, and DNA genotyping for evidence items submitted in connection with alleged crimes in the NYC area.
- Criminalist I at OCME
- Research Study Assistant I at MEMORIAL SLOAN KETTERING PROSTATE CANCER DIVISION
- Undergraduate Researcher at HOWARD NANOSCALE SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING FACILITY
- Undergraduate Researcher at COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY PSYCHOLOGY DEPARTMENT
11 months at this Job
- Master of Public Health - Biostatistics
- Bachelor of Science - Biology
• Worked reception in the front office of the Crime Lab for the Canyon County Sheriff's Office. Answered incoming calls. Handled incoming and outgoing mail. Scheduled appointments for evidence and property releases for both law enforcement agencies and the general public.
• Responded to crime scenes to perform technical processing and evidence collection, including fingerprint evidence, camera documentation, and measurement techniques.
• Assisted with autopsies when required - photograph documentation and evidence collection, etc.
• Assigned lab numbers to cases with evidence submitted for processing. Logged in all property and evidence using a Spillman barcoding program.
• Responsible for typing reports and completing paperwork associated with crime scene investigations in addition to routing reports to appropriate agencies.
• Responsible to maintain and audit all stored property and evidence.
• Created and implemented new policy for items being released from court vaults.
• Created and implemented new policy for items generated by Idaho State Police Forensic Services to be brought into the evidence tracking system.
• Created and implemented new policy for temporary storage of illegal and prescription drugs that had been dispositioned for destruction.
• Relocated, compiled, and created new evidence storage management for homicide cases.
- Assistant Criminalist at Canyon County Sheriff's Office
11 years, 9 months at this Job
- Associate - Surgical tech
- High school - General studies
* Supervision of Criminalists of levels I, II and III in all casework and DNA analysis duties * Perform DNA analysis and reviews of evidentiary materials such as body fluids and other biological evidence submitted in connection with criminal investigations. * Interpret DNA analyses, prepare written reports and provide court testimony * Perform technical reviews of case files and reports generated by other criminalists within the laboratory * Mentor to new Criminalists
- Criminalist IV at Forensic Biology Department
- Criminalist III at Forensic Biology Department
- Criminalist II at Forensic Biology Department
- Criminalist I at Forensic Biology Department
1 year, 2 months at this Job
- Bachelor's - Clinical Laboratory Sciences
• Evidence examination for homicide, sexual assault, and property crimes
• DNA extraction, quantitation, amplification, and profiling of samples
• Quality control/assurance for lab regulations and accreditations in forensics
- Criminalist IB at NYC Office of the Chief Medical Examiner
- Associate Researcher/Lab Manager at Mount Sinai School of Medicine
- Science Writer at Rare Earth Interactive Design
- Research Technician at Rockefeller University
1 year, 4 months at this Job
- M.S. - Molecular Biology
- B.S. - Biology
- High School Diploma
• Perform chemical analyses of blood to determine alcohol concentration (approximately 500 cases)
• Provide courtroom testimony (testified approximately 20 times)
• Perform instrument calibration and maintenance
• Analyze evidence for suspected controlled substances (approximately 325 cases)
- Criminalist I at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department Crime Laboratory
- Forensic Scientist Associate at North Carolina State Crime Laboratory
- Laboratory Technician I at Duke Energy (Aerotek), Analytical Laboratory
3 years, 7 months at this Job
- B.S. in Biochemistry, Cum Laude - Biochemistry
- B.A. in Psychology - Psychology
Criminalistics Laboratory, DNA Unit. All aspects of forensic DNA and serology including probabilistic genotyping. Instrument maintenance and validation teams.
- Criminalist II at San Francisco Police Department
- Criminalist I at Miami-Dade Police Department
- Research Associate at eBioscience
7 years, 4 months at this Job
- Master's - Forensic DNA and Serology
- Bachelor's - cell and molecular biology
1. Testing forensic evidence for possible presence of controlled substances 2. determining purity of cocaine and heroin samples 3. developing new methods for new instrument purchased by the laboratory
- Criminalist III at The New York Police Department Police Laboratory
- Laboratory Technician at John Jay College of Criminal Justice
- Substitute Science Teacher at The Chapin School
- Assistant Coordinator of Student Information Services at The Chapin School
5 years, 10 months at this Job
- Masters of Science in Forensic Science - criminalistics and toxicology
- Bachelor of Arts in Biochemistry - Biochemistry
• Worked on Lean Six Sigma project with Tim Kupferschmid
• Worked in LIMS for sexual assault cases constructing graphs with Excel
• Worked on DNA Lab Types with Dr. Paul Goncharoff
• Helped with reagent preparation in Quality Assurance
• Archived sample readings with Heather Clines in Quality Assurance
• Completed training in Mitochondrial DNA
• Was part of the Quality Assurance/Quality Control group
- Intern and Criminalist at DNA Lab Types with Dr. Paul Goncharoff
- Clerical Assistant at Tres Construction, LLC
2 years, 3 months at this Job
- Bachelor of Arts in Biochemistry - Biochemistry