Job description summary: As Regional Fire Protection Engineer I am required to have a detailed knowledge of applicable building codes, NFPA codes, and other relevant standards. I act as the Authority Having Jurisdiction for all GSA owned and controlled buildings within Region 6 of the GSA. My duties include but are not limited to the requirements found in Chapter 184.108.40.206 of P100, Facilities Standards for the Public Building Service (P100). I specifically have expertise in P100, the ICC Family of Codes, and NFPA standards as referenced by P100. I have specific knowledge of the fire protection and life safety requirements found within the GSA standard leasing agreements. I regularly provide guidance and interpretations of the relevant code and regulatory requirements as they pertain to fire protection and life safety. I provide design services and direction on the design, layout, and construction of fire protection systems, including automatic sprinkler systems, fire alarm systems, smoke detection systems, fire pumps, standpipe systems, gaseous fire suppression systems, etc. in office, laboratory, warehouse, electronic data processing, hazardous materials storage, and archives occupancies in low- and high-rise buildings. I witness acceptance testing for all types of fire protection and life safety related building systems. I evaluate designs of fire protection and life safety systems for GSA-controlled buildings. I have a detailed knowledge of related fields of activity or disciplines (i.e., electrical, architectural, civil, and structural engineering) to ensure that areas of overlapping responsibilities among technical disciplines receive proper design consideration and that total project objectives are met. My daily duties require the ability to read and understand engineering drawings, including knowledge of the conventions and symbols used in the preparation of such drawings. I review, edit and modify engineering specifications for the construction of fire protection systems, ensuring clear and concise language. Every aspect of my responsibilities requires effective oral and written communication skills. I regularly am required to explain technically complex concepts to a non-technical audience. My communications are frequently used by management to formulate critical decisions and develop region and nationwide policy.
- Regional Fire Protection Engineer at General Services Administration
- Fire Protection Program Manager at Alutiiq, LLC
- Independent Consultant at CM Engineers
- Senior Fire Protection Engineer at Federal Bureau of Investigation
5 years, 3 months at this Job
- Bachelor of Science - Fire Protection Engineer
-Perform comprehensive fire protection assessments of plant facilities. -Develop and support compensatory measures. -Review, develop, and maintain Fire Hazard Analysis (FHA) and Engineering support documents. -Provide daily fire protection related operational support. -Support with acceptance testing of fire protection systems. -Support with the inspection, testing, and maintenance of fire protection systems.
- Fire Protection Engineer at CNS Pantex Plant
- Project Manager/ Designer at Western States Fire Protection
- Fire Protection Engineer at Chicago Bridge and Iron
- Deputy Sheriff at Harris County Sheriff's Office, Harris County
1 year, 11 months at this Job
- - Process Safety
- Certificate in AutoCAD II
- Certificate in AutoCAD
- BS - Safety and Fire Protection Engineering
- Fire Protection Engineer at Moore Fire Protection
- Development Coordinator at Camp Kesem UW
- Student Research Assistant at Woodrow Lab - UW Bioengineering
1 year, 7 months at this Job
- Bachelor of Science - Material Sciences & Engineering
10/2000 to 03/2003)
• Responsible for design of plumbing/fire protection system in accordance with new NYC Building Code 2008, NFPA-13-2007, NFPA-14, NFPA-20 and SCA-DR6.3 design requirement, preparing the hydraulic sprinkler calculations and total dynamic head calculation for fire pump using HASS 8.7 program. Using AutoCAD 2017, 2018 and Revit 2017, 2018.
• Designed complete plumbing sanitary, vents, cold and hot water, storm, gas and fire protection system for warehouses, School in Queens NY, LIRR, Science Lab-Novartis, Parking Garage, White Plains Road line station,
- Plumbing/Fire Protection Engineer at AECOM
- Fire Protection Engineer at Plumbing
- Plumbing/Fire Protection Engineer at School Construction Authority - Long Island City
- at WSP / PARSONS BRINCKERHOFF
11 months at this Job
- BS - Mechanical Engineering
- Certificate in PDS - Analysis and Design
Houston, Texas March 2013 - Present (An engineering firm which does engineering, procurement, construction, fabrication, management of refineries, chemicals and petrochemical plants). Current Title: Lead HSE-Fire Protection Engineer
a) Client: Sasol North America in Lake Charles, Louisiana: Ethane Cracker Expansion.
Awarded Sasol LCCP special recognition award for performance beyond expectation for extraordinary efforts and contributions that had significant impact on department or project objective.
b) Client: Blanchard Refining Company in Texas City, Texas:
• Revamp of Pipestill and Residual Hydrotreater Units and their associated OSBL scope.
• Feasibility study evaluating the installation of a new grass roots Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel Hydrotreater (DHT).
• Installation of a new grass roots Ultra Low Sulfur Gasoline (ULSG), Sulfur Recovery Unit and their associated OSBL scope. c) Client: Marathon Petroleum Company in Garyville, Louisiana:
• Modifications to existing FCC Gas Con, Merox and HF Alky Units.
• CatMax Ph.1 Early Engineering and Procurement project to install a new Caustic Settler in the Splitter Unit scope. Responsibilities:
• Championing a team to develop and issue HSE deliverables per scope of services and approve all fire protection philosophies, calculations, analysis and reports.
• Spearheading fire protection design and firewater field walk-down reviews with the client and AHJ to address firewater loop installation and their appurtenances meet NFPA requirements; engineer temporary firewater plans to support turnaround and heavy haul activities.
• Designing cost effective water suppression mitigation strategies to combat pool fires acceptable with the AHJ while meeting the specified codes and standards.
• Analyzing the existing water suppression & life safety systems for operational functionality and compliance with NFPA standards.
• Performing hydraulic modeling to confirm the firewater system meets the performance requirements as specified by the AHJ and developing firewater system P&ID's, deluge P&ID's and PFD's.
• Participating in process hazard analysis (HAZOP's); firewater pump sizing and technical bid evaluation process; active & passive fire equipment RFQ technical support to the procurement team.
• Conducting firewater field surveys at project construction sites to support tie-in work packages; drafting As-Built firewater drawings to support design scope and construction work packages. Also facilitating in resolving firewater construction conflicts.
• Launching a SmartPlant F&G model review process to review the benefits and effectiveness of proposed detection, horn/ strobes accessibility, orientation of devices, maintenance requirements and identifying gaps in the design.
• Developing F&G location plans to meet the intent of the F&G philosophy and creating cause & effect matrix drawings to support the F.A.T/ S.A.T.
• Participating in 3D model reviews, continuously reviewing 3D models to ensure active & passive fire protection shown in the model meets the design and consolidating with other engineering disciplines to ensure HSE requirements are incorporated in the design.
• Establishing HSE scope of work, scope of services and milestone schedules, managing budget, conducting schedule updates, producing man-hour estimates, providing weekly and monthly progress updates.
- Lead HSE-Fire Protection Engineer at Fluor Enterprises
- Proposals Engineer (Fire Protection) at FireBus Systems Inc
6 years at this Job
- B.S. - Safety & Fire Protection Engineering Technology
Projects: Various types of New & Restorations such as Public Safety facilities Police & Fire Dept., Vehicle Maintenance facilities, all levels of Public, Charter & Private schools, Universities and Libraries
• Overseeing the start and completion of all Plumbing & Fire Protection drawings and specifications that were assigned
• Field survey/inspection of existing plumbing & fire protection systems
• Coordinate and resolve issues with architects, contractors and owners
• Generate punch list reports, review plumbing & fire protection shop drawings
• Generate mark ups for cad operators and help out other designers with any project related design questions or concerns
- Senior Plumbing/Fire Protection Engineer at Garcia Galuska & DeSousa
- Senior Plumbing/Fire Protection Engineer at The Collaborative Engineers
- Plumbing/Fire Protection Designer at M-E Engineering, Inc
- Senior Plumbing/Fire Protection Designer at TRO Jung
9 years, 2 months at this Job
- Certificate - HVAC Design, Environmental Engineering
- Major - Sociology
- Highly skilled in following proper Sprinkler Operation Manuals (SOM) in order to complete plans. - Convert 30 x 42 As-Built plans into CAD format. - Utilized As-Builts plans from already existing systems for future Tenant Improvements. - Highly skilled in SprinkCAD 2D, SprinkCAD 3D, SprinkSlic, and SprinkCalc. - Created material list with manufactures cut sheets, stocklist by Sprinkslic or hand list, payment requisitions for checks ordering. - Specialized in Plan Revision if plans needed corrections by providing Delta's and Cloud of the area changed. - Perform Hydraulic calculation for tenant improvements and new constructions projects. - Designed one for one head relocate projects which did not require hydraulic calcs. - Visit LA County Fire Departments, LA County Pubic Works, or LA DBS to submit plans.
- Fire Protection Engineer at Tyco SimplexGrinnell
- Fire Sprinkler Engineer at Cosco Fire Protection, Brea
- Fire Sprinkler Engineer at XL Fire Protection
- Fire Protection Designer at Allan Automatic Sprinklers Division of Shambaugh and Sons
8 months at this Job
- Bachelor of Science in Construction Engineering Technology - Construction Engineering Technology
• Strong background of designing sprinkler systems for many types of buildings and this including but not limited to warehouses, commercials, residential buildings and hospitals.
• Ensured building codes, client standards, and other regulations in the construction drawings and specifications.
• Played a pivot role in providing technical assistance to architects, contractors, and other private industry personal for interpreting and complying with international and local standards.
• Perform hydraulic sprinkler calculations using the Elite or Hydra Calc software.
• Good understanding of NFPA codes and standards with a deep knowledge in NFPA 13,14, 20 and 101.
• Life safety analysis including occupancy classifications, egress design, active and passive fire protection requirements using International Building Code (IBC) and/or Life Safety Code (NFPA 101).
• Familiar with various international and local codes & standards such as IFC, IPC, UPC, and ASPE and ASME.
• Critical thinking for solving complicated design problems.
• Ability to maintain cordial and effective relationship with engineers, contractors, inspectors, and construction project developers.
- Senior Plumbing and Fire Protection Engineer at Khatib Alami, Khobar
3 years, 11 months at this Job
- MS - Fire Protection Engineering
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering - Civil Engineering
·Created sprinkler system models using AutoCAD MEP compliant with NFPA and NYC code ·Designed wet and dry fire protection systems for approximately one million square feet of the LaGuardia Airport redevelopment project ·Integrated sprinkler systems into the Building Information Modeling (BIM) software to avoid design conflicts ·Coordinated design work with multidisciplinary team of general contractors, architects, and other subcontractors (HVAC, Plumbing, Electric) at weekly meetings ·Managed changes, additions, and redesigns for cost and time impacts across three different long term projects ·Performed hydraulic calculations to determine water pressure and flow requirements
- Fire Protection Engineer/Draftsman at RAEL AUTOMATIC SPRINKLER COMPANY
- Senior Design Project at OLEDWorks
- Historic Rehabilitation Construction Project Intern at L&M BUILDERS GROUP LLC
- Geotechnical Intern at AKRF, INC
1 year, 9 months at this Job
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering - Mechanical Engineering
• Serve as a lead technical fire protection engineer in the Nuclear, Fossil Industry, Power Delivery and Manufacturer Division of ENERCON for numerous client projects to address fire protection inputs, concerns and requirements.
• Performed engineering support of fire protection systems and features for nuclear power plants using the following standards: 10CFR 50.48; Regulatory Guide 1.189; NEIL; and NFPA Codes and Standards.
• Developed Design Change Packages (DCP), engineering reports, specifications, implementation packages for Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA), Duke Energy, Southern Nuclear, Next Era (Nuclear and Fossil), VC Summer, American Electric Power (DC Cook), Energy Northwest (Columbia Generating Station), Wolf Creek, Exelon, Google, Sofidel, and Entergy facilities to address fire protection requirements.
• Develop software and hand calculations for water-based fire protection systems, including equipment sizing for the development of design drawings for design and installation of underground fire mains, fire pumps, sprinkler systems, fire water storage tanks, fixed water spray and standpipe systems.
• Coordinate small and large design teams as needed to develop budgets, prepare scoping documents, design criteria, and project deliverables.
• Developed system design descriptions, specifications and license basis document preparation related to fire protection system requirements.
• Developed and review NFPA code compliance evaluations to ensure the proposed/existing designs are compliant with the applicable regulatory requirements.
• Preparation of technical input and documentation associated with licensing and safety documents, specifications, and reports related fire protection requirements.
• Coordinated with client fire protection engineers and brigade staff members to ensure the proposed design meets the requirements of the plant's fire protection program.
• Review client Engineering Change Requests (ECR) to determine if Fire Protection Programs (Appendix R / NFPA 805) are impacted and assessment of any impacts.
• Developed and review means of egress drawings for new and existing nuclear facilities utilizing NFPA 101 Life Safety Code and applicable building code requirements.
• Oversight and mentoring fire protection principles to those with less experience in design and analysis. Some of these analyses consist of fire protection engineering and/or 86-10 evaluations for firewall configuration, fire penetration seals, material acceptance, fire suppression and detection systems layout and arrangement.
• Designed, analyzed, and evaluated systems and components specifically related to the commercial nuclear industry.
• Developed system design descriptions, specifications and license basis documents to meet the requirements for fire suppression and detection systems.
• Coordinate with client fire protection engineers and brigade staff members to ensure the proposed design meets the requirements of the plant's fire protection program.
• Developed process flow diagrams, Piping & Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs), block diagram (riser diagrams) for fire suppression and detection systems.
• Develop NEIL evaluations to ensure the proposed design follows the Loss Control Manual requirements.
• Interfaced with other disciplines and customers to address fire protection concerns and/or inputs required for the modification.
• Development of economic studies including cost benefit studies for proposals and contracts.
- Fire Protection Engineer at ENERCON Services, Inc
- Fire Protection Engineer at Southern Nuclear Operating Company Hatch Nuclear Station
- Sprinkler Designer at All American Fire Systems Inc
4 years, 4 months at this Job
- BS - Fire Protection and Safety Engineering Technology