Phoenix, AZ. Arizona State Treasurer's Office (ASTO HYPERLINK "http://www.aztreasury.gov/")
Treasurer's office currently manages Arizona's $14 billion investment portfolio, includes a $5 billion State Land Endowment Trust Fund, Local Government Investment Pools totaling $3 billion, and $6 billion in State Agency funds.
Senior Investment Accountant/ Financial Analyst 2005 to2015
• Managed $2-$3 Billion trade clearing and settlement process on daily basis that ensured the availability of securities to settle trades in 15 fixed income and equity accounts.
• As primary party, provided premier working partnership to custodian banks, securities brokers, and operating bank that reduced the portfolio risk, drove down trade and transaction costs, shortened the settlement cycle and increased the volume of successful trades.
• Accomplished the cash settlement process by assessing the cash requirements for each fund and built the capacity to monitor intraday liquidity positions against expected activities and available resources.
• Facilitated wire transfers between ASTO and financial institution to cover cash calls reducing the cost of carrying and borrowing capital.
• Succeeded tri-party repurchase agreements with cash transfers and collateral management of more than $2 Billion daily in the short term credit market to provide a level of increased security, liquidity, and yield.
• Created a cash rollover and netting process for Repo's based upon revised guidelines from Securities and Exchange Commission. This resulted in reduced risk to assets on hand and at bank, decreasing opportunity costs while increasing portfolio returns.
• Calculated, allocated, and charged management fees and expenses to all Investment Funds maximizing revenues for the State of Arizona General Fund.
• Projected, calculated, allocated, and distributed, the Endowment Fund earnings to the 13 beneficiary funds dedicated for the education of Arizona Children.
• Delivered special projects to investment managers resulting in improved productivity and efficiency of Investment process.
• Compiled and published information on the ASTO's website that increased transparency and visibility to the performance and practices of the Investment Funds.
• Generated and provided fund information to credit rating agencies like Standard and Poor; improving the certification process that resulted in higher credit rating on Funds.
• Conducted the research, processing, filing, and collections of all class action lawsuits resulting in increased revenue for the funds.
• Researched securities on Bloomberg extensively to seek information that assisted in trading decisions and investment accounting functions.
• Directed the Investment accounting function of $5 Billion Land Endowment Fund. Developed and maintained the Net Asset Value of S&P 500, S&P 400, S&P 600 and Fixed Income Funds.
• Realized the month end closing process of Local Government Investment Pool's Long Term 500 and 700 Funds, development of Net Asset Values and, distribution of earnings to its beneficiaries.
• Administered the processing of all corporate actions such as mergers and acquisitions, spin offs, stock dividends, stock splits etc. to ensure collection of funds due to ASTO.
• Performed extensive account and fund reconciliations, participated in internal audits and process improvements to comply with GAAP/GAAS standards as directed by Auditor General's Office.
• Directed, facilitated, and participated in outsourcing parts of investment accounting function first to JPMChase and then later to State Street resulting in improved process and savings to the ASTO.
- Senior Investment Accountant/ Financial Analyst at State of Arizona
- Arizona Financial Information System (AFIS) State wide Accountant at State of Arizona
- Financial Planner at American Express Financial Advisors
- Registered Representative at High Net Worth Group
10 years at this Job
- Master of Business Administration - Finance
- Bachelor of Science - Business Operations/Accounting
• Prepares monthly investment report packages for STAT, GAAP, IFRS and other bases
• Prepares statutory quarterly and annual Schedule D regulatory reports and GAAP financial packages for investment accounting on established deadlines
• Performs daily reconciliation of accounts to the custodial record, including cash, trades, income and dividends, special deposits etc.
• Communicating with clients and custodians to resolve and handle discrepancies, including responding to inquiries from clients, their auditors, and Prime's client strategists regarding financial results.
• Assist in development and implementation of new procedures to enhance the workflow of the department
- Investment Accountant at Prime Advisors Inc
- Operations Analyst at Rockit Solutions
11 months at this Job
- Bachelor of Science in Business Management - Business Management/Finance
• Managed accounting operations, accounting close, account reporting and reconciliations.
• Performed debit, credit and total accounts on computer spreadsheets/databases using specialized accounting software.
• Updated investment records upon finding of investments.
• Tracked daily bond activity.
- Investment Accountant at New York Life Insurance Company
- Accountant at Lawrence Ruben Company
- Junior Accountant at The Care Group Inc
- Junior Accountant at News Communications Inc
11 months at this Job
- B.A. - Accounting & Information Systems
Global Investment Reporting
• Perform monthly, quarterly, and annual ledger reconciliations for multiple insurance entities for both US GAAP and STAT reporting bases.
• Complete Schedule D reporting following US regulatory reporting policies
• Lead the onboarding of new insurance companies ensuring a smooth hand off of all reporting duties
• Analyze significant fluctuations in balance sheet or income statement accounts and research the main drivers behind any unexplained variances
• Coordinate state deposit holdings with 20+ state departments and banks ensuring state mandated regulatory requirements are met
- Investment Accountant at Swiss Re
- Fund Administration, Compliance, Associate at State Street Corporation
- Fund Administration, Market Data Services, Intern at State Street Corporation
- Member at Student Finance Association
2 years, 11 months at this Job
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - Finance
Supervised all wire payments sent and received for the investment of the $40 Billion retirement fund. Managed team of investment accountants to increase recalculation of fees paid to private market investment managers from 50% to 90%. Developed and implemented a paperless system to track and store audit support for all fee calculations and cash flows simplifying the audit process and reducing processing time. Performed monthly and quarterly analysis of general ledger data and assisted with preparation of schedules for annual report.
- SENIOR INVESTMENT ACCOUNTANT at TEACHERS' RETIREMENT SYSTEM OF THE STATE OF IL
- SHELTER SUPERVISOR at Contact Ministries
- STAFF ACCOUNTANT at SIKICH, LLP
11 years, 4 months at this Job
- B.A. - ACCOUNTING
Performed daily accounting and analytical functions to successfully value clients' investment
portfolios with an emphasis on streamlining and automating operations, cutting costs and increasing efficiency.
• Provided Senior management with monthly performance and attribution slides to gauge current investment results and aid in future sector allocation decision making.
• Identified and enhanced current operational procedures to improve the efficiencies of the accounting systems and workflow with a focus on client trading activities.
• Prepared clients' statutory reporting package used to support clients' investment accounting, including investment income recognition and performance.
• Responsible for the analysis and accounting of daily trading and cash activities associated with clients multi asset class general account portfolios.
- Investment Accountant at Prime Advisors Inc
- Financial Consultant at IFG Companies
- Business Reporting Analyst at United HealthCare
- Senior Fund Accountant at SS&C Technologies Inc
1 year at this Job
- Bachelors of Science - Finance
• Perform investment accounting functions for various investment types, such as single-loans, preferred equity, loan portfolios, and operating real estate on a daily basis
• Manage and monitor contributions, distributions, loan draws, and other cash activity
• Review financial models for cash flow and budget projection purposes
• Manage and review monthly close, accounting workbooks and ad-hoc inquires
• Create and maintain loan accretion schedules
• Prepare supporting schedules and compile information for SEC reporting; assist with 10-K/10-Q tie out
• Identify impairments and analyze fair value for loans and equity deals
• Review and understand loan agreements, contracts, and other deal documents
• Work closely with FP&A, asset management team, and investor relations
• Utilize Yardi and Anaplan software
• Prepare and review monthly custodian reports, debt service requirements, and stand-alone financial statements
• Prepare annual budget; update forecasts by analyzing previous operating results
- Senior Investment Accountant at Colony Capital Inc.
- Senior Accountant at Montrose Environmental Group, Inc
- Senior Financial Accountant at Aurora World Inc
- Accountant at James Lee &Accountancy Corporation
1 year, 7 months at this Job
- Master of Science - Accounting
Created proper reports associated with the reconciling of all donor advised funds and preparing corporate financial statements.
● Assisted other members of Finance team as needed with questions related to DAF programs or Stellar Financial System.
● Completed monthly reconciliations of cash and investment accounts including recording journal entries for dividends, interest income, realized and unrealized gains.
● Recorded appropriate prepaid and accrued entries as needed.
- Investment accountant at National Philanthropic Trust
- Accounts Receivable Associate at Lannett Company Inc
- Accounting Intern at GLARIX
3 months at this Job
- Bachelor of Business Administration - Business Management
• Update net change and cash reconciliations for 8 to 10 domestic and international portfolios daily
• Initiate, approve, and release wire transfer payments utilizing online bank portals
• Email client fund balances and variance emails to the Corporate Treasury department of ADP
• Reconcile cash balances in accounting system to bank balances and research discrepancies
• Post accounts payable and cut checks via Great Plains on a weekly basis
• Post journal entries via Great Plains on a monthly basis
• Complete month-end duties including roll forwards, interest income analysis, custody reconciliations, verifying book yields, and average book values on a monthly basis
- Investment Accountant at Automatic Data Processing, Inc.
- Senior Investment Accountant at Bank Of New York Mellon
1 year, 7 months at this Job
- MBA - Business
- BSBA - Accounting
- BSBA - Marketing
Worked closely with Local Market Finance colleagues in order to ensure that the accounting records (i) accurately reflect the country's transactional reality and (ii) comply with local statutory and tax requirements
• Developed and analyzed solutions to increase monthly auditing investigation process efficiency
• Designed training and updated documentation and work instructions to ensure compliance with company's policy.
• Authored SOPs and work instructions for Brazil and new Latin America markets.
• Developed and maintained KPIs and SLAs for US market.
• Provided training to Genpact team (third party) and stakeholders for improvements and standardizations to the cash daily process.
• Maintained current cash accounts accurately reflecting the country's transactional reality thru timely posting of all required items following Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
• Cleared daily cash account.
• Kept balance of Animal Health cash account on Atlas.
• Reconciled bank account monthly using Blackline tool.
• Uploaded the financial statements on Financial Kit tool daily.
• Contact customers and suppliers internally and externally daily to process wire receipts.
• Provided supporting documentation (bank statements and vendor/customer ID) to A/P & A/R for U.S., Mexico and Latin America markets.
• Identified and implemented opportunities for improvement and efficiencies in service delivery.
• Delivered quality training to Brazil and Costa Rica teams on ERP systems (SAP, MIDAS, Atlas) special projects.
• Reviewed expense reports for accuracy and completeness
- Cash & Investment Accountant at Merck & Co
- Accounting/HR Analyst at GEP International
- Administrative/Account Professional Coach at GEP International
3 years at this Job
- Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration - UNIFACS