800 North Capital Street, NW Suite 701 Washington DC, DC 20002 United States 02/2014 - Present ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Hours per week: 40 Series: 0201 Pay Plan: GS Grade: 14 Senior Employee & Labor Relations Specialist (This is a federal job) Duties, Accomplishments and Related Skills: As a Senior Employee and Labor Relations Specialist, I consistently provide sound and supportable advice to managers and supervisors on all aspects of employee issues, policies and regulations. I give a high level of attention to detail, I am very effective in communicating as well as listening, and I do an outstanding job representing the Agency on policy matters with the Union, demonstrating full knowledge and understanding of the Agency's mission and goals. I provide expert guidance and advice to management officials to resolve critical, complex employee and labor relations matters in accordance with federal regulation, collective bargaining agreements and Agency business practices. These matters include discipline and adverse actions, performance actions, OWCP cases, reasonable accommodation, medical documentation, FMLA, Leave, Unemployment, grievances, conflict resolution, term and mid-term bargaining, ULPs, and information requests. I am the Agency representative in fact findings, misconduct investigations, hearings and affairs related to Unfair Labor Practices, union negotiations, grievances, unemployment hearings and other associated formal processes. I have investigated and drafted responses to the FLRA regarding ULPs and Petitions for Inclusion. I have provided contract interpretation and guidance for two separate bargaining units. I have participated as the Agency representative in FSIP mediation regarding policy and procedure changes. I have represented the Agency in both Traditional and Interest Based Bargaining negotiations. I provide advice and recommend appropriate outcomes to various levels of management officials regarding employee misconduct and adverse actions to eliminate or mitigate employer/organizational liability. I serve as a management representative and subject matter expert in the interpretation and administration of applicable negotiated collective bargaining agreements. I consult with management and labor partners to determine strategic HR needs and provide appropriate resolution. I prepared and communicated recommendations, complex correspondence, appeals, and complaints responses to various levels of management, external agencies and union officials. I have created liability analysis to identify advantages, risks and implications of proposals related to employee misconduct programs, labor programs, grievance settlements, complaints, EEOC claims and various investigations. Managed and participated in the preparation for contract negotiations, changes to policies and procedures, midterm bargaining, grievance hearings, economic re-openers, mediations and arbitrations. I provide verbal and/or written advice and analysis to senior leadership as well as managers and supervisors regarding appropriate disciplinary/adverse action measures, issues which could be complicating to performance and disciplinary actions, such as disparate treatment, EEOC factors under Title VII, and reasonable accommodation, and complications to current policy brought about by new or changing law, regulation, case law, etc. In addition, provide recommendations and advice regarding external forces which may negatively impact the agency, such as the recent sequestration and furlough issues facing the federal service. I can be relied on to make full use of research tools and other information in support of my conclusions and recommendations. I am especially effective with the use of CyberFeds and have assisted others with retrieving relevant and helpful information used to reach penalty determinations or for case analysis. I have also taken the lead in handling and/or making recommendations in sensitive reasonable accommodation issues with accuracy and efficiency and extremely good judgment. I express myself very well in writing. I routinely provide appropriate recommended edits to supervisors and managers who present drafts for my review, ensuring that the final document is procedurally compliant and supportable by the evidence of record. I am respected by my colleagues and others with whom I interact and/or serve. I handle discussions with others in a tactful and effective manner, especially when communicating with managers and supervisors in my service area of responsibility. I handle competing responsibilities and deadlines extremely well, prioritizing my assignments and meeting important due dates. I am very tactful, politically savvy, and persuasive, and I manage to maintain my composure very well under pressure. For example, I have calmly and effectively handled potentially volatile matters when dealing with the Union. Supervisor: Dee Calvert (202-577-4674) Okay to contact this Supervisor: Yes
- Senior Employee & Labor Relations Specialist at CSOSA
- Employee and Labor Relations Specialist at CSOSA
- Labor Relations Specialist at United States Postal Service
- SUPERVISOR, CUSTOMER SERVICES at United States Postal Service
4 years, 11 months at this Job
- Bachelor's Degree - Criminal Justice
- - Criminal Justice
Conduct labor relations activities within Higher Education which includes but is not limited to: contract administration, represent unionized members during employment interrogations with management, initiate the filing of contract grievances and conduct hearings to resolution. Work with Higher Education local affiliates in the capacity of consultant, advocate, communicator, trainer and facilitator in the resolution of work place issues.
- LABOR RELATIONS SPECIALIST at NEW YORK STATE UNITED TEACHERS
- TRIAL COUNSEL at NEW YORK CITY BOARD OF EDUCATION
- ASSISTANT DISTRICT ATTORNEY at KINGS COUNTY
- LEGAL INTERN at MAIN STREET LEGAL SERVICE, INC., DEFENDER CLINIC
18 years, 10 months at this Job
- Juris Doctor - Criminal Defense Clinic
- Bachelor of Science - Political Science
• Provide professional and administrative advice, guidance and services in support of the Hospital's employee/labor relation function.
• Serve as a primary point of consultation, coordination, and/or liaison for hospital personnel on a range of employee and labor relations policy, contract interpretation and procedural issues.
• Facilitates and assists in the resolution of workplace disputes and grievances.
• Administers and coordinates FMLA and the various leaves of absence.
• First point of contact for complaints
- Employee Labor Relations Specialist at CHRISTUS St. Vincent Regional Medical Center
- Human Resource Director at Physicians Plaza Surgery LLC
- Human Resources Director at Alta Vista Regional Hospital
- Chief Human Resources Officer at El Centro Family Health
4 years, 6 months at this Job
- B.S. - Business Administration
• Administered and provide technical assistance for all negotiated collective bargaining agreements;
• Served as hearing officer at grievance hearings;
• Counseled management on disciplinary/employee actions;
• Provided input into the development of written policies and procedures related to employee/management issues;
• Prepared special reports;
• Provided training on labor relations issues, including collective bargaining contract revisions.
- Labor Relations Specialist at State of Ilinois
11 years, 5 months at this Job
- Master of Arts - Public Administration
- Masters Certificate - Public Sector Labor Relations
- Bachelor of Arts - Sociology/Anthropology
- Associate in Arts - Sociology
Provided Employee/Labor Relations advice and assistance to managers, supervisors, and regional Human Resources personnel in matters of grievances, appeals, conduct performance, attendance and dispute resolutions. Prepared Agency's Response to employee grievances at Step B of grievance process. Evaluated and resolved internal employee complaints and concerns expeditiously. Provided expertise on Labor/Employee matters, including drafting proposed disciplinary and administrative actions such as proposed suspensions, reprimands, and performance based actions.
- Employee/Labor Relations Specialist at Parker Tide
- Employee Relations/HR Compliance Specialist at Independent Contractor
- Manager, HR Compliance Programs at ROCKWELL INTERNATIONAL CORPORATION
- Employee Relations Specialist at RUTGERS UNIVERSITY
4 months at this Job
- Juris Doctor
- Bachelor of Arts - Political Science
Conflict Resolution/Conciliation - Served as administrator for the Alternative Dispute Resolution Program. Employed cooperative labor relations philosophy to resolve grievances and informal complaints. Served as a fact finder in grievance processes for bargaining and non-represented employees. Served as subject matter specialist with independent responsibility for resolving difficult labor/employee relation issues. Intervened to resolve workplace disputes and conflicts. Used Labor Management Review Committees to engage management and union representatives in meaningful dialogue to anticipate and prevent disputes and grievances. Advisory Services/Customer Service - Provided expert technical advice to county departments on discipline, work performance, conflict resolution and compensation issues. Recommended courses of action for every facet of employee/labor relations areas such as performance management, leave and attendance, and employee misconducts, by reviewing background information, prior corrective action, and recommendations for decisions. Provided regulatory and contract interpretation guidance to management with a high level of customer service. Conducted review of all disciplinary actions proposed by departments for conformance with Union contracts, Personnel Regulations, Administrative Procedures and departmental regulations. Utilized statutory and regulatory references, Merit System Protection Board (MBPS) case law, arbitrator decisions, departmental policies and procedures to determine the appropriate action. Conducted mandatory Workplace Violence training for managers and supervisor. Convened crisis management team to assess and respond to threats of violence in the workplace. Conducted mediation to resolve workplace disputes and foster better employee relations.
- Employee and Labor Relations Specialist at Montgomery County Government
- Staffing Specialist at Recruitment
- Classification & Compensation Analyst at
- Employee Benefits Specialist at
11 years, 3 months at this Job
- Certificate in Contract Administration
• Assist in daily administration of Labor Relations policies
• Possess and share knowledge of departmental policies and procedures regarding Collective Bargaining Agreements (CBA) and Work Rules for Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association (AMFA) and International Brotherhood of Teamsters (IBT)
• Provides support to Labor Relations Leadership by assisting with System Boards and Arbitrations
• Interact with various Departments within the Company to resolve Employee issues
• Oversee programs used in Labor Relations
• Participates in Labor Relations special projects as needed
- Labor Relations Specialist at Southwest Airlines Company
- Customer Service Specialist at Southwest Airlines Company
- Assistant Manager, Payroll & Leave at Southwest Airlines Company
- Employee Resources Coordinator at Southwest Airlines Company
1 year, 8 months at this Job
- B.S. - Information Technology Management
- High School Diploma
Serve as one of three labor and employee relations specialists as part of the HR organization at a VA medical facility with more than 2,700 employees serving in excess 55,000 veterans in the Philadelphia metro area.
- Employee Relations/Labor Relations Specialist at Veterans Administration
- Director Human Resources at Levy - Barclays Center
- Regional Human Resources Manager Northeast at Sodexo - Tenet National Organization
- Psychotherapist-in-Training Intern at NHS Delaware County
1 year at this Job
- M.A. - Human Relations
- M.A. - Professional Clinical Counseling
- B.A. - Psychology
• Represents Agency management in negotiations with employee organizations.
• Coordinates, develops and prepares the Agency's bargaining position for contract negotiations, including securing input from management personnel.
• Ensures that affected organizational units are involved and informed about the status of the bargaining process.
• Represents the Agency in the administration of collective bargaining agreements, including hearing, deciding upon, and responding to grievances appealed to the Human Resources Officer and other high echelon officials.
• Responsible for the investigation and resolution of the more difficult informal and formal unfair labor practice charges and arbitration cases filed by employee/labor unions.
• Provides ongoing consultation serving as Agency liaison on all matters concerning labor- management relations; and ensures that policies governing union access and other organizing activities are in compliance with established union contracts and federal and local policies.
• Handles the investigation and disposition of grievances; advises on grievance processing and dealing with disciplinary matters; interprets provisions of Memoranda of Understanding with employee organizations; meets with employee organization representatives to discuss issues and attempt to arrive at a solution through mediation.
• Develops strategies for dealing with employee concerns and alternative management bargaining positions.
• Lead organizational teams for specific projects and task force studies on labor relations matters.
• Plans, participates in, and evaluates special projects requiring coordination of activities across departmental and functional lines, to include the responsibility of project leadership over other professional and technical staff.
• Analyzes the effect of new laws or administrative regulations on human resources programs, and prepares policies and designs procedures and forms for implementation.
• Exercises leadership in evaluating the labor relations program and monitoring major labor-management developments throughout the Agency.
- Senior Labor Relations Specialist, GS at Small Business Administration National Labor Relations Office
- Senior Labor & Employee Relations Specialist, GS at Small Business Administration
- Organization Transition Specialist, YA at Womack Army Medical Center
- Human Resources Consultant at Department of the Army
6 years, 11 months at this Job
- Bachelor of Arts
- High School Diploma
• Advises and assists managers, supervisors, employees and personnel managers on Employee Relations policies and procedures concerning employee conduct, performance, and discipline as well as adverse actions and grievances
• Provides senior level advice and consultation for the agency on performance management issues
• Provides manages with Department's performance management procedures, practices, policies, and guidelines
• Counsels management on performance situations with potential to generate grievances and have moral impacts
• Serves as a technical expert on Labor Relations program, policy, and practices
• Provides interpretation of labor policy and procedures to agency management and recommends solutions to labor relations issues
• Provides the agency management with interpretations of policy and procedures and recommended actions to take when the labor issues are new, highly controversial, precedent setting and/or involve more than one area of labor relations policy
• Develops solutions to extremely complicated problems with potential to impact all employees
• Serves as a management spokesperson to the labor organization which has exclusive recognition for the bargaining unit in Region VI of the Department of Housing and Urban Development
• Serves on the management team for negotiations and responsible for the formulation and presentation of management's position to the union
- Employee and Labor Relations Specialist at Federal Government Agencies
- Senior Human Resources Analyst at City of Dallas
- Operations Supervisor at US Army
- Administrative Specialist at US Army
11 years, 7 months at this Job
- Master of Arts in Organizational Management - Organizational Management
- Bachelor of Science in Business and Management - Business and Management