Enjoyed a strong career of increasing responsibility with Mountain States Legal Foundation (MSLF), a non-profit, public
interest legal foundation. Began career as a staff attorney and rose to Vice President and Chief Legal Officer.
Vice President and Chief Legal Officer 2009 - 2018
Promoted to guide the foundation's diverse, precedent-setting litigation program. Served as lead counsel on cases of national and regional significance. Supervised a team of up to seven legal professionals and an extensive
portfolio of complex cases. Hired and trained young attorneys in case development and strategy, legal research and writing, oral advocacy, ethics, and professionalism. Ensured that the foundation's clients received exceptional
legal representation. Consistently operated litigation program within budget. Provided sound legal advice to the
board of directors regarding corporate governance and laws affecting non-profit entities. Authored amicus curiae
briefs for numerous cases before the Supreme Court of the United States.
• Won an 8-1 victory for a landowner before the Supreme Court of the United States in a quiet title action initiated by the United States.
• Established that a federal agency could not infringe upon private property rights to protect a wilderness area.
• Secured an important appellate victory regarding the time for commencing actions against the federal government.
• Proved that the federal government unreasonably delayed in lifting the suspension of a federal oil and gas lease.
- Vice President and Chief Legal Officer at MOUNTAIN STATES LEGAL FOUNDATION
- Managing Attorney at
- Sole Practitioner at LECHNER LAW OFFICE
9 years at this Job
- Juris Doctor
- Bachelor of Science - Petroleum Engineering
RINGER, INC. (3 YEARS) Chief Legal Officer. Serving as outside legal counsel for several privately held companies, including BigCommerce, DataStax, and Base CRM. Go-to legal counsel for managing difficult negotiations with key customers and vendors, modernizing and streamlining standard agreements, and advising on best practices on a range of matters, including employee relations, privacy regulations, and data security. GOOD TECHNOLOGY CORPORATION (2 YEARS) Associate General Counsel. Served on a two-attorney due diligence team that completed, in only 18 months, two financing rounds, three acquisitions, the filing of an SEC Form S-1, and ultimately the sale of the company to Blackberry. Drafted and negotiated a broad range of sales and procurement agreements with multinational corporations. Lead attorney responsible for resolving employee relations matters and managing outside litigation counsel. Designed and implemented a company-wide legal request system, streamlining the process of requesting, assigning, tracking, and completing legal services. Coupons.com Incorporated (3 years) Senior Director, Legal Affairs. Drafted and negotiated a broad range of complex commercial agreements with Fortune 500 companies, including Wal-Mart, IBM, Amazon, Microsoft, Apple, Accenture, and Google. Founded and served as Chairman of the cross-functional Data Governance and Data Protection teams which were responsible for assessing, monitoring, and protecting consumer, client, and company data, as well as developing and implementing data breach protocols. Directly facilitated the rapid expansion of the company's patent and trademark portfolios. Managed outside patent and trademark counsel in a cost-effective manner. Apple, Inc. (8 years) Corporate Counsel. Served as primary legal counsel for as many as 14 business groups, including Worldwide Developer Relations, Customer Seeding, iWork, Platforms, and Marketing Business Operations. Drafted and negotiated co-branding, software license, consulting, and marketing agreements with large, multinational high-tech firms. Coordinated due diligence teams for the Intel migration and the acquisition of two companies. Developed and delivered client legal training programs.
- Chief Legal Officer at Ringer, Inc.
at this Job
- B.S. - Business Administration
Drafted, reviewed and translated legal documents including leasing contracts, exhibition and transportation contracts,
service consulting agreements, and resource replacement agreements
• Reviewed due diligence reports, share purchase agreements, investment agreements, loan agreements, equity pledge agreements and other legal documents; assisted Beijing, Guangzhou branches and Hong Kong headquarters with M&A and investment projects
• Provided legal and tax advice to support investments in new areas such as cosmetics and e-sports; ensured company operations complied with local and national regulations
• Provided legal advice on IP rights, civil infringement, personnel, finance and other legal issues
• Filed cases, prepared evidence, participated in trials and applied for execution of legal proceedings
- Legal Officer at K11 (CHINA) LIMITED
- Legal Assistant at MODACHOR HOLDINGS LIMITED
- Intern at HUIYE LAW FIRM
- Intern at HIWAYS LAW FIRM
9 months at this Job
- Master of Laws - Laws and Business Law
- Master of Laws in Foreign Legal History - Foreign Legal History
- Bachelor of Laws - Laws
Bangalore, India/ 16th December till 5th March 2016
• Assisted Vice President Legal with research, review of simple agreements and proof reading of documents.
• Maintained database & files, received messages & performed other administrative tasks of Legal team.
• Drafting LOA, Notices & Declaration Letter.
• Co-ordination with Advocates and maintenance of litigation & Trade Mark database. Aconex India Limited Legal Associate Global Sales Support, Bangalore, India/10th March 2016 to 30th September 2016
• Assisted Aconex Legal counsels of Australia, Europe, China and India.
• Extended my support to Aconex Sales team with initial documentation like NDA, Procurement Orders, Variations, Novation and suspension Agreements.
• Review of Lease Agreements and identifying the clauses agreed by Aconex for any specific compliance.
- Legal Officer at Mphasis Limited
6 months at this Job
- Bachelor of Law - Law
• Reported directly to the CEO and the Board of Directors of Alpha Bank Albania (the "Bank"), (a commercial bank with €614 million in assets, ) a subsidiary of Alpha Bank Group, the fourth biggest bank in Greece (€60.813 billion in assets), on legal, compliance and bank regulatory matters. Advised the parent company on corporate governance matters affecting compliance with the applicable laws of Albania.
• As Chief Legal Officer, had final authority regarding approval of loan terms ensuring compliance with the Bank's risk policies, as well as guided and finalized terms of complex lending transactions (e.g., lead underwriter syndicated loan transactions and club-deal consortium loan transactions).
• Drafted form contracts for each of the Bank's retail products, negotiated and drafted the wholesale customary contracts, as well as all securities contracts related to investments and capital structure, employment contracts, procurement and intellectual property contracts.
• Drafted the Bank's internal procedures related to retail and wholesale lending, non-performing loans and work-out procedures, bank capitalization and investment policies, human resources rules and policies, as well as procurement procedures.
• Supervised the in-house attorneys and external counsel, and collaborated with other banks units (internal clients) to define benefits, identify risks and mitigating factors to drive business forward.
• Chaired the Bank's Legal Committee, responsible for advising the Board and the parent company on legal matters that affected the Bank's business and reputation due to new legislation, compliance with the prevalent Albanian and EU regulatory frameworks, and new judicial decisions.
• As a member of the Bank's Arrears Committee, defined the strategy for dealing with non-performing loan cases, including restructuring, rescheduling, collateral foreclosure, bankruptcy, collaboration with other creditors on out-of-court solutions.
• As a member of Human Resources and Ethics committee, dealt with cases regarding termination of employment, performance, behavior and ethical matters.
- Chief Legal Officer/Director at Alpha Bank Albania
- Partner, Attorney at Law at DeLegibus Consulting Law Firm
5 years, 6 months at this Job
- LL.M in Securities and Financial Regulations - Securities and Financial Regulations
- LL.B. - JD equivalent
1. Assistance to expert associates and judges for civil, criminal and penal proceedings; 2. Assistance in court sessions; 3. Preparation of case files, memoranda and legal opinions, rendering judgments; 4. Recording and tracking all actions taken by the judge during the course of the case
- Legal officer at Ferizaj Basic Court, Strpce Branch, supported by USAID Property Rights Program in Kosovo
- Bachelor of Laws at
8 months at this Job
- Bachelor's - general legal direction
- Some college
Ensuring - as sole in-house counsel for nineteen (19) active lines of business - legal & regulatory compliance with PDMA, FCPA, HIPAA, False Claims Act, Anti-Kickback Statutes/Legislation, & other pertinent statutory frameworks. ◆ Built and maintains QPharma's Intellectual Property Portfolio Management Program. ◆ Applies a working knowledge of US and Global Privacy law to QPharma's PDMA-compliant solutions. ◆ Collaborates with QPharma's Director, U.S. Payor Relations, concerning drug pricing, anti-kickback mitigation, and related payor relation projects. ◆ Promoted from "General Counsel" to "Chief Legal Officer" within one (1) year due to risk mitigation achievements. ◆ Conducts internal monitoring and investigations for Privacy, HIPAA, anti-corruption, and regulatory compliance, and Drafts and Implements Standard Operating Procedures ("SOPs") for designated QPharma Personnel. ◆ Autonomous drafting, negotiating, reviewing of NDAs, Hospital/Health Care Provider Contracts, Master Service Agreements, SOPs, Wholesale Distributor Agreements, Vendor contracts, and Software-as-a-Service Agreements. ◆ Handling outside/external counsel management, from litigation management to escalated investigatory matters. ◆ Provides to the company's business general legal counsel to all aspects of the organization regarding the development and execution of various FDA compliance and ethics programs, in collaboration with key management figures. Also, drafts corrective action plans and deviation protocol if needed, in connection to QPharma's ethics and compliance activities and personnel. Serving as QPharma's designated Chief Privacy Officer, whereby responsible for data protection and cybersecurity frameworks and the investigation of sensitive, internal complaints. Coordinates execution of data security policies. ◆ Autonomously initiated and implemented General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) compliance. ◆ Serving as internal legal and business advisor QPharma's relabeling/labeling/promotional activities concerning its "MedStart" drug sample distribution program, and spearheaded promotional review (compliance/regulatory/legal) committee for the MedStart program. ◆ Responsible for providing communications and training on new legal and regulatory requirements, as well as handling internal investigations in response to external audits or governmental inquiries.
- Chief Legal Officer & Chief Privacy Officer at QPharma, Inc
- In-House Counsel at Compassionate Care Hospice
- In-House Counsel at Space Age Consulting Corp
- Grievance and Appeals Coordinator at Blue Cross Blue Shield Michigan
3 years, 6 months at this Job
- Executive M.B.A. - Pharmaceutical & Healthcare Marketing
- LL.M. - Healthcare & Pharmaceutical Compliance
- JD - International Law
- A.B. - Russian Language & Literature
Litigated cases on behalf of the Company involving breach of contract, commercial law, and labor
law before a superior court of Ghana.
• Conducted research on Ghanaian contract, labor and insurance law, and on complaints from clients and drafted legal briefs and memoranda to advise the Company on prosecuting or defending lawsuits.
• Drafted and reviewed proposed contracts for provision of goods and services with business partners in financial, telecommunication and information technology industries.
• Coordinated with all departments within the company to ensure business processes followed statutory legal requirements such as insurance law, company law and tax law.
• Drafted correspondence to National Insurance Commission and legal representatives of clients regarding client complaints or queries on wrongful premium deduction and underpayment of sum insured.
- Legal Officer at StarLife Assurance Company Limited
- Legal Apprenticeship at Legal Ink [Lawyers & Notaries]
- Corporate Relationship Manager at StarLife Assurance Company Limited
- Sales Administrative Officer at Sales Department
1 year, 11 months at this Job
- Master of Laws in Business and Finance - Business and Finance
- - Law
- Bachelor of Laws - Laws
- Bachelor of Science (Hons) - Management & Computer Studies
Seasoned non-profit generalist attorney with over 20+ years experience as a General Counsel and Chief Legal Officer, reporting to the CEO and board of directors as a C-Suite legal and business partner; Management of the legal function and strategy, both internally and externally, including: ethics, compliance and regulatory issues; domestic and international intellectual property asset protection and licensing; commercial contract drafting, negotiation and enforcement; leases; commercial financing; litigation; board governance, advice and attendance at all board meetings; trusts and estates; cybersecurity; risk management; vendor and partner relationships; new products and services review and approval; management of outside counsel and negotiation of pro bono hours; and general corporate legal advice. Experience in building relationships and collaborating with a wide variety of departmental stakeholders, member organizations, and regulatory agencies, and managing and motivating a legal team- all with a positive attitude and a hint of humor. Maryland bar.
Goodwill Industries International Inc., Rockville, MD (2003-present)
Chief Legal Officer and General Counsel
Report to the CEO and Board of Directors of a $5B global non-profit membership organization dedicated to assisting people with disabilities and other barriers to employment to obtain jobs and job training as a C-Suite legal and business partner; Responsible for management of all corporate legal functions, including management of legal team.
● Responsible for protection and management of intellectual property assets, including global trademark protection of the Goodwill® brand and licensing; Management of global electronic trademark infringement monitoring systems, cease and desist letters, U.S. Patent and Trademark and global registration and maintenance filings, filing of infringement and opposition actions, and review of advertising and marketing materials for brand accuracy
● Corporate governance functions; Attend all Board meetings and provide legal advice to CEO, Board and Board committees; Alignment, training and drafting of Board policies and procedures; Responsible for managing Board conflict of interest issues as they arise
● Risk management functions and policy creation; Cybersecurity; Ethics, compliance and regulatory oversight; Document retention and whistleblower policies and procedures; Review of 990 and other filings; Employee and Board conflict of interest disclosure statements and review
● Manage external legal functions such as interaction with government agencies and outside domestic and international legal counsel; Management of trusts and estates including interactions with trustees and financial institutions; Litigation oversight; Departmental and organizational oversight of budgetary functions
● Negotiate and draft contracts with third parties including domestic and international licensing, contracts regarding vendor, cause-marketing, technology, hotel, entertainment/celebrity partnerships, grants, leases and others; Assist in the development of a specialized contracts management system
● Human resources engagement
- General Counsel and Chief Legal Officer at Goodwill Industries International Inc
- General Counsel at Myvesta, Inc
- Attorney at U.S Patent and Trademark Office, Department of Commerce
- Assistant General Counsel at American Health Care Association
16 years at this Job
- B.S. - M.S., Family and Community Development
- General Cousel and Chielf Legal Officer at Mobis Parts America, LLC
- Employment Litigation Attorney at Tobin Lucks
- Real Esate and Commercial Litigation Attorney at Hart King & Coldren
- Construction Defect and Real Esate Litigation Attorney at Cooksey, Howard, Martin & Toolen
5 years at this Job
- - State of California Bureau of Real E
- Juris Doctor - Orange County Business Journal
- Bachelor of Science - Real Estate Finance