Molecular Biologist/Laboratory Scientist in U.S. Department of Homeland Security 06/2018-present
• Perform molecular testing methods (DNA extraction and real-time qPCR) to rapidly identify and characterize potential pathogenic bacterial and viral threat agents from daily samples.
• Handle, receive and process Quality Assurance (QA) and Proficiency Test (PT) samples.
• Collect, process and analyze internal laboratory swabs for Quality Assurance/Quality Control (QA/QC).
• Ensure incoming biological samples are processed and triaged maintaining chain of custody (COC).
• Prepare written and oral reports, answer questions, troubleshoot and make recommendations to the supervisor for inclusion in comprehensive reports on test findings. 1
• QA/QC of reagents in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
• Maintain and operate equipment including performing calibrations, adjustments, and to operate equipment and instruments properly and in a safe manner.
- Molecular Biologist/Laboratory Scientist at U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- Research Specialist/Postdoctoral Researcher at Emory University
- Research Scientist at Biochemistry Department, Chemily LLC
- Graduate Teaching Assistant at Department of Biology, Georgia State University
9 months at this Job
- PhD of Science in Biological Science - Dissertation
- Master of Science in Biology - Biology
- Master of Science in Botany - chemical
- Bachelor of Science in Biological Science - Research on the expression
* Construction of gene libraries and expression vectors * Characterization of gene variants * Primer design * DNA isolation and sequencing * Plasmid Purification * PCR mutagenesis and transformation * Cloning genes of interest * Recombinant protein expression * Gel electrophoresis * Harvesting Shake-flask cultures * protein lysis using micro fluidizer * Making enzyme powders * Perform and troubleshoot experiments in HTP format. * Data analysis of sequencing results
- Molecular Biologist at Codexis Inc
- Enzyme Engineering Scientist I at Roche Sequencing Solutions
- Teaching Assistant (TA) at De Anza College
- Undergraduate Research Assistant at Rech Lab, San Jose State University
9 months at this Job
- BS - Biological Sciences
- Certification of General Education
• Process patient samples using PCR
• Analyze patient data using TaqMan Genotyper
• Review patient data and submitted results to Variantyx and Coriell for data interpretation
• Create and update the Chemical Hygiene Plan for PMLS
• Train new employees on safety rules and regulations
• Demonstrate safety practices and demonstrate correct usage of spill kits and first aid
• Ensure that safety rules and regulations established by OSHA are being followed by all laboratory personnel
• Formulate safety chemical plan for the laboratory and ensure that new employees are informed
- Molecular Biologist at Premier Medical
- Certifying Toxicologist at Premier Medical
- Analytical Chemist at Premier Medical
- Lab Technician II at Genova Diagnostics
1 year, 6 months at this Job
- Masters - Business Administration
- Bachelor of Science - Biology
• Purify and prepare master mix, reagents, and samples for DNA sequencing on 4300 Genetic analyzer using various kits and methods.
• Produce DNA sequence of microbial samples that causes Lyme disease by applying techniques such as DNA sequence clean up, base calling, DNA sequence alignment and Blast search of the final sequence of 16S rDNA.
• Perform routine maintenance of the DNA sequencer.
• Maintain and inventory reagents, DNA purification kits, and DNA sequencing kits.
• Perform work in accordance with Federal and State accreditation requirements and departmental procedure manuals and guidelines.
- Molecular Biologist at Cary Institute
- Media Analyst & Cultural Advisor at Leonie Industries
- Shift Manager at Leonie Industries
- Limousine Driver at Elite Limousine plus
10 months at this Job
- B. S. in Forensic Science-Molecular Biology - Forensic Science-Molecular Biology
- B. S. in Computer Science - Computer Science
- Associate of Science in Computer Science and Business Management - Computer Science and Business Management
In the Advanced Molecular Detection Team, I detect carbapenem resistance in Pseudomonas, Enterobacteriaceae, and Acinetobacter species. Using RT PCR and Multiplex PCR assays, I detect the presence of carbapenamse genes in clinical swab and isolates. I also perform antibiotic sensitivity testing on these isolates and help validate the accuracy and precision of these tests and compile SOPs for approval. As a part of the Center for Disease Control (CDC)'s Antibiotic Resistance Laboratory Network (ARLN), we help identify outbreaks and aid in the quarantine of patients carrying carbapenemase producing organisms. I compile monthly reports of Carbapenem Resistant Enterobacteriaceae (CRE) and Carbapenem Resistant Pseudomonas aerugionsa (CRPA) samples tested by our team and submit them to the CDC. I use whole generation sequencing to sequence Escherichia, Shigella, Salmonella, Campylobacter, Listeria, and Vibrio species from clinical, food, and environmental samples to support the lab's involvement in the CDC's PulseNet and GenomeTrakr programs. I am currently undergoing PulseNet certification for whole genome sequencing analysis using FastQC and Bionumerics bioinformatics pipelines for Escherichia, Salmonella, Listeria, and Campylobacter species. I am also certified by the CDC's CaliciNet program to conduct conventional and RT-PCR assays on Norovirus samples that we isolate from clinical stool samples. I then use Sanger Sequencing to genotype the virus and submit results to the CDC's national database.
- Molecular Biologist III at Department of State Health Services
- Microbiologist I at Texas Department of State Health Services
- Graduate Student Researcher at Roger W. Hendrix, Ph.D., Department of Biological Sciences, University of Pittsburgh
- Undergraduate Student Researcher at Judith M. White, Ph.D., Department of Cell Biology, University of Virginia
1 year, 10 months at this Job
- Ph. D. - Molecular Biology
- B.S. - Biology
• Full time position as an independent contractor in the public health sector
• Different experimental procedures performed throughout tenure including PCR, gel electrophoresis, and extraction of DNA and RNA from different insects and arachnids
• Various instruments used including MPix DNA Detection, 7500 RT-PCR, Illumina MiSeq, Eppendorf Thermal Cycler, and micropipettes
• Assisted on other projects within the molecular development department including water, air, and soil testing, chlorine testing, and insect identification
• Constantly working to improve processes in place and different projects within the molecular biology laboratory through various experimentation
- Molecular Biologist at US Army
- Laboratory Simulation Technician at George Washington University
- Processing Technician at Octapharma Plasma
at this Job
- Master's - Molecular Biology
- Bachelor's - Human Nutrition. Foods, and Exercise
• Lead scientist in conceptualization, designing and development molecular technologies such as dsRNA mediated RNAi and CRISPR mediated gene editing in animals.
• Prepare technical and legal documents for IBCs and MTAs for agency approval.
• Responsible for technology transfer, professional advisory, and consulting activities.
• Inventor in 3 patents applied with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
• Plan and conduct portfolio analyses for potential collaborations to aid scientific research.
• Aid supervisor in research planning and financial considerations to assess overall feasibility of project plan and scientific support.
• Assist in writing grants and reviewing Project Plan proposals for USDA approval.
• Develop, present, and provide program/progress briefings at meetings, conferences, lab visits involving Directors, Industry collaborators and National Program Leaders.
- Research Molecular Biologist at USDA
- Postdoctoral Fellow at The Pennsylvania State University
- Graduate Research Assistant at The Pennsylvania State University
- Research Assistant at The Pennsylvania State University
5 years, 11 months at this Job
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry - Microbiology and Molecular Biology
- MS - Life Sciences
- BS - Life Sciences
1. Perform laboratory procedures following protocols for DNA sequencing, PCR, gel electrophoresis, DNA & RNA extraction, plasmid purification, etc. Sequence data analysis. 2. Customer Service for sequencing project and results. 3. Operate and maintain laboratory instruments independently. Responsible for assigned lab duties, maintenance of lab stocks, solutions, reagents, and supplies. 4. Responsible for QA/QC procedures.
- Molecular Biologist at ACGT, Inc.
- Research Assistant (Microbiology) at Northwestern University
- Research Assistant (Water Chemistry) at Northwestern University
- Environmental Technician at Environmental Protection Bureau
1 year, 6 months at this Job
- Master of Science - Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Bachelor of Science - Environmental Sciences
Bio-watch program is the nation's first early warning network of sensors to detect biological attack operates via a system of filters located within existing Environmental Protection Agency air filters that monitor air quality. I am apart of a four person laboratory team responsible for testing air samples via rtPCR for the detection of biological pathogens used in a potential biological terrorist attack in the El Paso Area.
- Molecular Biologist Full-time at A-TEK INC
- Graduate Research Assistant-40hrs/week at University of Michigan Medical School
- Research / Development Technician-40hrs/week at University of Michigan Medical School
- Intern Research Assistant-40hrs/week at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center El Paso
1 year, 4 months at this Job
- Bachelor of Science - Cellular and Molecular Biochemistry
• Managing employee operations and performance of DNA extraction and polymerase chain reaction to detect the presence of Human Papilloma Virus (HPV), Chlamydia Trachomatis and Neisseria Gonorrhoeae (CT/NG), and Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV).
• Creating, implementing, training, and managing LibreOffice, a spreadsheet program, to track employee workloads, time spent performing duties, and quality control.
• InSitu Hybridization (ISH) for detecting HER2 in breast tissue samples.
• Microscopic examinations of cellular samples to assess malignant changes.
• Collection and statistical analysis of laboratory data.
• Onsite evaluations of fine needle aspiration (FNA) samples to assess the adequacy.
- CYTOTECHNOLOGIST/MOLECULAR BIOLOGIST at ARKANSAS PATHOLOGY ASSOCIATES
- CYTOTECHNOLOGIST at ARKANSAS PATHOLOGY ASSOCIATES
- CYTOTECHNOLOGIST at UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS FOR MEDICAL SCIENCES
- CERTIFIED TECHNOLOGIST at UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS FOR MEDICAL SCIENCES
1 year, 3 months at this Job
- MASTER'S IN BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION - BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
- BACHELOR'S OF SCIENCE - Cytotechnology