* Generator System: Exciter, Stator, Hydrogen, and Hydrogen Seal Oil Systems * Projected LP turbine blade crack propagation and planned blade replacement outages safely o Developed condenser backpressure management strategy for reducing blade stress by 20% o Saved 12 days of power generation by reducing blade stress and eliminating the need for an outage o Collaborated with Siemens engineering on data collection and interpretation * Bearing vibration trending and monitoring after significant system perturbations: o Grid disturbances, reactor power fluctuations, valve positions, ambient conditions, and oil quality o Evaluated bearing health after large power changes during shutdowns and startups * Performed dismantled inspections and crawl-throughs of various plant components including: o LP turbines, main generator, pumps, valves, heat exchangers, vapor extractors, piping, and reservoirs o Participated in cause analyses on failed components to fix and take actions to prevent future occurrences * Responsible for organizing and providing maintenance and testing documentation to Nuclear Electric Insurance Limited (NEIL), the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC), the Institute of Nuclear Power Operations (INPO), and the World Association of Nuclear Operators (WANO), and the OEM Siemens-Westinghouse. * Received main generator design and operation training at the Siemens manufacturing facility in Charlotte * Travelled to Mulheim Germany to perform the final inner-casing alignment check for replacement LP turbines
- Nuclear Engineer II at Duke Energy - Robinson Nuclear Plant
- at Duke Energy - Robinson Nuclear Plant
- Nuclear Engineer I at Duke Energy - Robinson Nuclear Plant
1 year, 5 months at this Job
- Bachelor's - mechanical engineering
- None - mechanical engineering
Point of contact in the Electrical Engineering Department for ships maintenance. Responsible for analyzing nuclear deficiencies and providing corrective procedures.
• Written procedures to perform various work to meet ships systems maintenance requirements.
• Troubleshooting experience in the Rod Control System to ensure reactor safety requirements.
• Performed extensive research using the RPM, Tech Manuals, and ships wiring drawings for the correction of nuclear deficiencies. Physical Science Technician: Five years of experience monitoring radiological work, performing radiological surveys, and ensuring proper completion of nuclear work.
• Interpreted work plans, drawing, specifications, and procedures.
• Implemented radiological control procedures related to storage, local transportation, and local treatment of small volumes of nuclear waste to include DOT shipments.
• Used radiological training to recognize and react to abnormal radiological situations
• Proficient in various radiological surveys for collecting data and verifying correct controls are used for work.
• Performed various radiological jobs to include valve repair in the Valve Operating System and the Pressure Relief System.
- Nuclear Engineer at NORFOLK NAVAL SHIPYARD
- Reactor Operator at THE UNITED STATES NAVAL NUCLEAR POWER PROGRAM
8 years at this Job
- - Electrical engineering
- - chemistry
• Provide engineering control over nuclear cognizant reactor plant systems.
• Perform technical planning functions including identification of work instructions.
• Identify radiological work controls appropriate for the work package and system conditions.
• Provide technical instruction and oversight for the fabrication and installation of structural components.
- Nuclear Engineer at
- Principal Engineer at Stevenson & Associates
11 months at this Job
- Master of Science - Structural Engineering & Mechanics
- Master of Science - Dissertation
- Bachelor of Science - Civil Engineering
Synthesized Navy contractual requirements dealing with nuclear and propulsion plant
oversights into comprehensive solutions that acknowledged cost, personnel and schedule
● Aircraft carrier onsite evaluation and system walkthrough to provide customer support with integrated testing activities, technical analysis, quality inspection of nuclear equipment, and chemistry evaluation of nuclear grade fluids.
● Monitored reactor plant conditions during major milestones such as reactor cold water testing, initial reactor criticality, emergency shutdown operations, open water builders and sea trials.
● Performed detailed mathematical calculations and produced engineering documentation and work authorization forms for hydrostatic testing while adhering to strict military nuclear safety, DoD, Department of Energy and OSHA requirements.
● Managed a team of 30 Test Engineers to ensure that required personnel are present, establishing a 24-hour coverage, during reactor plant operations to support testing, maintenance, chemistry and radioactive controls.
● First Lead test engineer to receive Excellence in Action Award (EIA) on CVN 78 Ford Class Carrier for spearheading a team of engineers in completing a major testing milestone.
- Lead Nuclear Engineer 2 at Huntington Ingalls Industries NNS
- Design Engineer Intern at Northrop Grumman
5 years, 2 months at this Job
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering - Mechanical Engineering
• Technical Word Document Preparation
• Job Summary Creation
• Material Ordering
• Trouble Desk Engineer
• Special Tooling Creator
• Solid Edge Drafting
• VBA, Notepad+, UNIX, HTML, Microsoft Office
- NUCLEAR ENGINEER at PUGET SOUND NAVAL SHIPYARD
- ENGINEERING INVESTIGATOR at ROBERTSON ENGINEERING INVESTIGATION
1 year, 7 months at this Job
- BACHELOR OF MECHANICAL ENGINEERING
• System and drawing understanding
• Learning large amounts of technical information
• Nuclear reactor theory
• Process safety and risk management
• Understanding of complex systems and diagrams
• Diagnosing and correcting plant casualties by understanding the causes of alarms and changing indications
• Maintaining fine controls on process chemistry
- NUCLEAR ENGINEER at PEARL HARBOR NAVAL SHIPYARD
- at MCDONALD'S
- PROCESS ENGINERING INTERN at AXALTA
6 months at this Job
- BS - CHEMICAL AND BIOLOGICAL ENGINEERING
Qualified as a Nuclear Shift Test Engineer: Excelled during a rigorous, 2 year qualification process consisting of multiple written exams and a final oral board. The program focused on mechanical and electrical systems, reactor theory, plant chemistry, operating procedures, and casualty response for Los Angeles Class submarines. ○ Responsible for resolving deficiencies and enforcing technical requirements. ○ Primary author for numerous technical engineering directions for testing of ship systems. ○ Responsible for preparing and executing training for new engineers and Ship's Force.
- Nuclear Engineer at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard
- Lab Assistant at University of New Hampshire
6 years, 6 months at this Job
- B.S. - Bioengineering
Optimized the reactor core loading patterns and rod patterns for cycles 1-5 for the SMR-160 and calculated reactivity coefficients, reactor kinetics parameters,
shutdown margin, and rods worths for each cycle.
• Developed the nuclear and mechanical fuel assembly design.
• Performed an optimization of the SMR160 using a Haling Power Depletion for an equilibrium cycle.
• Developed a Python code package for pre- and post- processing CASMO5 and SIMULATE5 calculations.
• Performed reactor pressure vessel fast fluence calculation with MCNP.
• Designed a high performance computing cluster and purchased from vendor. Perform administrative duties for high performance computer cluster (Linux).
• Wrote Voucher Request for Assistance for Gateway for Accelerated Innovation (GAIN) funding for stability analysis of the reactor coolant system of the SMR- 160. Point of contact for the duration of the project with Oakridge National Laboratory.
• Developed the schedule to support project goals for the nuclear design and analysis of the SMR-160.
- Nuclear Engineer at SMR Core Design
- Internship at SMR Core Design
- Teaching Assistant- Introduction at Pennsylvania State University
- Internship at Global Security
4 years at this Job
- M.S. - Nuclear Engineering
- B.S. - Nuclear Engineering
Develops Engineering Changes (EC) to support long range planning and scheduling. Performs design verification, checking, and other reviews as required for engineering products. Interprets equipment and installation specification and maintenance requirements for modification activities. Performs and supports licensing actions as required, e.g., 10CFR50.59 reviews, (U)FSAR updates, LAR submittals, Technical Specification changes, etc. Provides technical input and reviews for procurement engineering evaluations. Evaluates and develops design solutions and corrective actions for related industry operating experience, nonconformance reports, licensee event reports, notices of violation, and quality assurance audit and surveillance findings. Performs and supports development of operability determination evaluations to support Operations. Interfaces with outsource vendors during the development of design products. Performs owner acceptance review for externally developed engineering design products. Provides inputs and regular updates to the Design Engineering schedule for activities under their responsibility.
- Senior Nuclear Engineer at Duke Energy Progress, Brunswick Nuclear Plant
- Project Manager at
- Engineering Outage Coordinator at
- Operating Experience Coordinator at
1 year, 7 months at this Job
- B.S. - Mechanical Engineering
Perform civil design, field inspections and structural analysis for the nuclear plant's systems,
structures and components.
• Prepare, amend and revise engineering calculations in support of station engineering products.
• Develop engineering design change packages to provide for plant improvements and modifications.
• Provide support of projects produced within the engineering department and for external vendors.
• Assist the Operations and Maintenance departments with troubleshooting and resolving plant issues.
• Perform the additional duties of radiation dose advocate and buried piping coatings inspector for the engineering department.
- Nuclear Engineer (Civil Design) at Duke Energy
- Chemistry Specialist/ Radwaste Operator at Duke Energy
- Water/ Wastewater Operator at Carolina Water Service
- Water Quality Operator at Celanese Acetate
6 months at this Job
- Bachelors of Science in Civil Engineering - Civil Engineering