Industry ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Luminit R&D Torrance, CA Optical Engineer Feb. 2017-Present Created a machine to mass produce volume holographic optical elements. Wrote programs to automate metrology and manufacturing efforts, with built in data collection. Maintained over ten laser systems in production and R&D environments. Detailed achievements: Designed, built, and aligned optical systems to record custom holographic optical elements for R&D customers. - Worked with costumers to build a specification for the custom hologram's playback angle at a specified playback wavelength. Designed, built, and aligned the optical system used to mass produce volume holograms. - This system included fiber coupled red, green, and blue lasers, dichroic mirrors to combine the three colors into a white beam, polarization specification, and a photodiode PID feedback loop to control laser power. Designed, wrote, and implemented the process and standard operating procedures for volume hologram manufac- turing, from the ground up. - Transitioned the process to a team of manufacturing engineers and technicians. Wrote proposals to government agencies and costumers. Wrote a various LabVIEW and python programs. - Automated Volume Holographic Optical Element Manufacturing: Accomplished by replacing the manual buttons and switches with solid state relays and a National Instruments Data Acquisition (DAQ) device to send the timed signals. The LabVIEW program also records photodiode values from the lasers, power densities, exposure times, and manufacturing parameters. - Volume Hologram Modeling: Accomplished using python and calculating equations from Kogelnik's coupled wave theory. Inputting desired playback and recording wavelengths, along with playback angles, the program would calculate the required recording angles. - Hologram Metrology: Built and programmed stages from Thorlabs to test various characteristics of holographic optical elements, such as diffraction efficiency, and diffraction image. Trained on Toptica laser systems in Germany. - Learned how to replace and align components in the laser cavity; the tapered amplifier module, laser diode module, and second-harmonic generation cavity.
- Optical Engineer at Luminit R&D
- R&D Lab Technician III at Luminit R&D
- Student Researcher at Photonics Lab at Cal Poly Pomona
- Student Researcher at Keck Graduate Institute
2 years, 1 month at this Job
- Bachelor of Science in Physics - Physics
In metrology Lidar design group
Proposed a polarization laser beam configuration, derived an equation to analyze the polarization state changes induced by HR coating phase shift of two scanning mirror, and finished the analysis at all working conditions.
Proposed to setup an all fiber system for analysis of ToF measurement accuracy.
Spotted a design defect that led the transition from SM fiber to PM fiber for the whole system.
Analyzed the returned signal intensity vs system pinhole position.
Modify assembly process and finished several pilot line product assembly, alignment and qualification test
• In Laser Projector design group Designed the whole optical system and finished system tolerance analysis for mechanical engineer. Finished all drawings of optical parts Finished system stray light analysis, select the pinhole size and pinhole position in order to get maximum beam intensity on detector. Prepared documents for IP application of polarized beam configuration design of Tracer. Helped manufacturing engineer finished prototypes assembly and key performance test.
• In Laser Tracker group Solved the problem of He-Ne laser tube instability, by modifying the process the problem is completely removed. Solved laser beam ellipticity problem, I modified the band pass filter drawing and set inspection criteria after calculation, and have it completely removed. Finished tracker laser projecting system temperature sensitivity analysis with Zemax to find out the root cause of laser beam size change. Designed a fixture for laser tracker laser projecting system alignment, which uses a much smaller space and makes operators much easier to have work done. Modified the design of laser tracker's PSD module and laser projecting system.
- Optical Engineer at Faro Technologies Inc
- Sr. Optical Engineer at Aglitron
- Consultant at R&D for Shanghai Nextrend Technology Co
- Sr. Optical Engineer at Gooch & Housego (Florida) LLC
3 years, 1 month at this Job
- MS degree in Thin-Film Optics - Thin-Film Optics
- BS degree in Optical Engineering - Optical Engineering
Developed optical programming
- Optical Engineer at Lion Solutions Group LLC
- Optical Engineer at Distant Focus Corporation
- Assistant Research Professor at National Cheng Kung University
- Assistant Professor at Department of Communication Engineering, Oriental Institute of Technology
8 years, 2 months at this Job
- Doctorate - Electrical Engineering
- PhD - Electrical Engineering
- MS in Electrical Engineering - design
- BS in Electrical Engineering - Electrical Engineering
• Senior optical engineer for IceFyre and Borealis high rep. rate ultra-fast laser products utilizing gain-switched laser diodes as seed source − Co-designed and developed 1064nm ultra-fast (<15ps) gain-switched diode-seeded fiber amplifier source for high power, high rep. rate laser systems − Integrated fiber-based seed source with Nd+3:vanadate slab amplifiers for high rep. rate (>1MHz) high power (>60W) scaling − Developed software scripts (MATLAB, Octave, Python) for instrument control and batch analysis of experimental data including data logs for rapid interpretation of laser performance to forecast laser stability − Collaborated with supply vendors to conduct research on products to improve performance and to determine root causes of component failures (8D analysis)
- Senior Optical Engineer at MKS Spectra
- Principle Engineer at Raytheon
- Senior Member of the Technical Staff at Sandia National Laboratories
- Member of the Technical Staff at Navel Research Laboratory
3 years, 2 months at this Job
- Ph.D. - Physics
- B.S. - education
Principal Optical Design Engineer
• Principal optical designer and optical engineering manager for manufacturer of injection molded optics for general illumination, architectural, entertainment, automotive, portable and medical solid-state lighting systems.
• Designed achromatic mechanically compensated zoom system for gobo projection system.
• Designed families of TIR lenses and linear optics for retail and commercial lighting.
• Design contributor and developer on award winning achromatic projection system for entertainment lighting application.
• Oversight of optical engineering design team for all new product development and sustaining engineering.
- Principal Optical Engineer at Fraen Corporation
- Senior Optical Applications Engineer at Luminus Devices
- AP Physics Teacher at Palmer High School
- Senior Optical Engineer at Cooper Crouse-Hinds Airfield Lighting
3 years, 1 month at this Job
- B.S. - Physics
- - English
Work on optical system design, test, analysis and metrology with different software such as, Zemax, Matlab etc.
• Design general optical test system including light source and camera in test chamber. Simulate light propagation in chamber.
• Make optical analysis on cameras from different vendors. Check lens performance and imaging qualities on sensor. Based on benchmark analysis, provide crucial information for cameras selection.
• Write drivers, design optical test sequences for display test station to analyze display normal optical performance and all kinds of optical defects.
• From test result, find root cause of all kinds of issues coming from test station or display.
- Optical Engineer at Apple, Hardware Group
- North America member at American Physical Society
- at American Physical Society
- Senior Optical Engineer at Zulu inc, Hardware Group
1 year, 2 months at this Job
Designed Fiber Optical sensing and distributed fiber optical detection system
• Design Optical Time Domain Reflectometer system and Laser Optical detection
• Design Fiber Optic transmitter and receiver technology for fiber optical sensor networks
- Optical Engineer II at Southwest Microwave, Inc
- Test Engineer at Advanced Bionics, LLC
- Optics Research Assistant at UMR
- Electrical Engineer at Topstar Electric Com. Ltd
7 years, 8 months at this Job
- M.S. - Electrical Engineering
- B.S. - Electrical Engineering
• Developed a visual inspection fixture to inspect the surface quality (Scratch/Dig) of apodizer glass and measure its decentering and angular tilt in apodizer assembly by using a CCD camera with image capture and processing SW (MB_Ruler_Pro) and documented with a detailed procedure.
• Model and analyze a grating based ellipsometry optical system in Zemax to understand the opto- mechanical sensitivity of each optical component and develop optical alignment tooling to cost effectively manufacture such assembly with consistency.
• Developed optical testing technique for the ultrafast diamond turned ellipsoidal mirror used for focusing/collecting a broadband light beam in a spectroscopic ellipsometry optical system and UV enhanced objectives (5X, NA 0.4 & 1X, NA 0.04) used in a dual beam spectrophotometer.
• Investigated the thin film thickness variation caused by a small residual birefringence in a quartz based apodizer and developed a LABView based test fixture to characterize the residual birefringence in the apodizer with a detailed procedure to increase its yield to 95%.
• Developed a short arc 75W Xe lamp with a key supplier to extend its life time by a factor of 5, resolve its quality issue by improving the temperature measurement on the electrode and controlling its aging chamber temperature during the aging process. Also, developed a high brightness Deuterium lamp with an extended life time (doubled life time) with consistency.
• Developed a test fixture to characterize the nonlinearity on a CCD chip with detailed procedure to improve the film thickness measurement on wafer in terms of accuracy and precision.
• Developed a lens assembly test fixture to characterize objectives with F# between 0.25 and 7.4 on Zygo interferometer (finite conjugate and infinite conjugate) with a detailed procedure. PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE )
- Senior Optical Engineer at KLA-TENCOR
- Senior Optical Engineer at ROCKWELL COLLINS
- Senior Optical Engineer at PHOENIX LASER SYSTEMS
- Research Specialist, Optics Design/Analysis at LOCKHEED MISSILE AND SPACE
23 years at this Job
- M.S. - Optical Sciences
- M.S. - Physics
- B.S. - Physics
August 2013 to present
• Design, construction and evaluation of Active/Adaptive Two Photon Microscopes
• Dynamic testing of MEMS Deformable mirror
• Imaging software development with Matlab, LABVIEW, and C++
• Simulation of optical systems with Zemax
• Modeling of microscope hardware construction with Solidworks August 2011 to August 2013
• Design, construction and evaluation of confocal microscopes with heterodyne detection
• High speed analog and digital electronic circuitry design by means of PADS
• Noise analysis on electro-optical systems
• Aberrations analysis and compensation in medical imaging systems
- Research Assistant/Optical Engineer at Optics and Optical Electronics Labs
- R&D Engineer at Junankang Medical Technology
- Undergraduate Research Engineer at Optics and Optical Electronics Labs
- at Full Scholarship for Graduate Studies
5 years, 7 months at this Job
- PhD - Electrical Engineering
- Master of Science - Electrical Engineering
- - Journal of Biomedical Optics
- Bachelor of Science - Electrical Engineering and Biomedical Engineering
Led a mature engineering group with focus on business development, creativity, growth, system engineering, and process improvement. Successfully led multiple engineering and R&D projects to satisfy customer requirements and strategic goals. Worked closely with customers to develop project vision, technical requirements for optical, opto-mechanical, and instrument-level systems, and then with technical teams to realize them, with an understanding of implicit constraints and customer goals. Managed to financial, project, schedule, and resource requirements and goals. Developed optical systems for a variety of applications, resulting in publications, intellectual property, and successful application. Systems include radiographic imaging; ultrafast hyperchromatic imaging; time-resolved scattering diagnostics; tomographic imaging systems; and pyrometry diagnostics. As chair of the corporate Emerging Science and Technology and Strategy R&D subcommittee, worked with managers and researchers to determine the company’s research strategy, evaluate and award proposals, quantify the company’s research network, and determine ROI on past and proposed work. Initiated and managed collaborative and contractual relationships with multiple external organizations, resulting in new business and enabling organizational capabilities.
- Principal Optical Engineer at Mission Support and Test Services, LLC
18 years, 6 months at this Job
- Master's - Business Administration
- Master's - Optical Science
- Bachelor's - Optical Engineering