Patent Attorney responsible for drafting and prosecuting pharmaceutical, mechanical, chemical, polymer, biotechnological patent applications; drafting complaints, answering to complaints, discovery requests and responses, responding to motion for summary judgment, appeal briefs, cross-appeal briefs, infringement contentions, invalidity contentions, motion to dismiss, expert declarations, motions to compel discovery, motions for judgment on the pleadings; preparing and taking depositions; working directly with clients to provide updates, discussing strategies, and preparing them for depositions
• Evaluate trademark opposition and filed notice of opposition, conduct discovery and file motions and briefs.
- Patent Attorney at Beem Patent Law Firm
- Patent Attorney at McAndrews, Held and Malloy LTD
- Patent Attorney at Sandvik
- Patent Agent/patent attorney at Shimokaji & Associates
8 months at this Job
- J. D. - law
- M.S. - Organic Chemistry
- M.S. - Inorganic Chemistry
- B.S. - Organic Chemistry
During undergraduate studies, Brian worked at the Utah branch of Rader, Fishman & Grauer PLLC as a law clerk where he was drafted several patent applications and gained preliminary experience prior to pursuing a career in intellectual property law. During law school, Mr. Riddle worked in the Franklin Pierce's Intellectual Property and Transaction clinic, where he conducted interviews; researched and drafted documents; and advised clients in a variety of intellectual property and transactional matters. Brian worked at the Japanese law firm, TMI Associates, as a foreign extern associate during his last semester of law school, where he was able to learn the intricacies of Japanese patent law. Brian practiced at the law firm of Rader, Fishman & Grauer PLLC, after law school where he began his career as a patent attorney. His intellectual property group made a switch to VanCott, Bagley, Cornwall & McCarthy, PC, where Brian continued to gain expertise and grow his business while spending time assisting engineering groups including the Utah Engineering Council. Brian also serves as a mentor at BYU helping students at the Rollins Center for Entrepreneurship and Technology on a pro bono basis. Mr. Riddle followed VanCott through a subsequent merger with Fabian Clendenin. He currently focuses his practice at FabianVanCott on drafting and prosecuting patent applications. Language Japanese
- Patent Attorney at FabianVancott
- patent attorney at VanCott, Bagley, Cornwall & McCarthy, PC - Utah
- Utah - patent agent and attorney at Rader, Fishman & Grauer PLLC
- Utah - law clerk at Rader, Fishman & Grauer PLLC
3 years, 5 months at this Job
- J.D. - Franklin Pierce Law Center's Intellectual Property and Transaction Clinic
- Associates - TMI Associates
• Work with clients and inventors to prepare and prosecute patent applications
• Develop arguments and amendments to respond to office actions from the USPTO and other patent offices worldwide
• Conduct the interviews with the USPTO examiners
• Prepare patent opinion letters
• Conduct patent searches, draft search reports, and report to clients
• Communicate with patent attorneys or agents in the United States, Europe, Korea, China and Japan regarding patent prosecution or other patent related issues on behalf of clients
• Assist multinational corporate clients in strategically developing their worldwide patent portfolio Firm represented various international and domestic corporate clients including, not limited to, Hewlett-Packard, Fairchild Semiconductor, 3M, Huawei Technologies, UEC, Dyson, Samsung Display, Samsung SDI, LG Chem, POSCO, and Hyundai Motor Company.
- Attorney/Patent Attorney at You Me Patent & Law Firm/PanKorea Patent & Law Firm
- Patent Attorney at Lex IP Meister PLLC
- Attorney at The Law Offices of PDC
- Law Clerk at Vernon J. Petri & Associates
4 years, 1 month at this Job
- Doctorate - Law (JD)
- Master's - Molecular Biology
- Bachelor's - Genetic Engineering
I draft and prosecute patent applications. In addition, I conduct patentability and infringement searches.
- Patent Attorney at Ben-Ami & Associates
- Patent Attorney at Seligsohn Gabrieli & Co.
1 year, 4 months at this Job
- Doctorate - Materials Science & Engineering
- Master's - Chemical Engineering
- Bachelor's - Chemical engineering
Draft patent applications. Prepare Replies in response to Office Actions issued by USPTO during prosecution of patent applications. Perform freedom-to-operate opinions. Consult with clients regarding patent strategy. Conduct Interviews with USPTO examiners.
- Patent Attorney at McBee Moore Woodward & Vanik IP, LLC
- Senior Counsel at SIMPSON & SIMPSON, PLLC
- Associate Attorney at THE BILICKI LAW FIRM, P.C
- Director, Infused Polymers at INTEGUMENT TECHNOLOGIES, INC
1 year, 7 months at this Job
- JD - Law with concentration in Intellectual Property Law
- M.A. - cellular biology
- B.A. - Biology
• Provide legal advice to a wide range of organizations within Air Force, including Air Force Research Laboratory, Air Force Institute of Technology, Air Force Civil Engineering Center, Air Force Medical Support Agency, and National Museum of the U.S. Air Force;
• Review contractual federal acquisition law clauses for determination of invention ownership rights;
• Prepare and prosecute applications for letters patent before United States Patent and Trademark Office for Air Force Research Laboratory, Air Force Institute of Technology, Air Force Civil Engineering Center, and Air Force Medical Support Agency;
• Record assignment documents to secure Air Force interests in patentable technologies;
• Prepare and record Transfers of Custody and Administration between Air Force and other Federal entities;
• Conduct and provide legal opinions with respect to technology transfer agreements, including: ◦ Cooperative Research and Development Agreements (CRADA); ◦ Education Partnership Agreements (EPA); ◦ Patent and Trademark License Agreements; and ◦ Joint Ownership Agreements (JOA);
• Prepare and prosecute applications for trademark registration before the United States Patent and Trademark Office for Air Force Research Laboratory, Air Force Institute of Technology, and National Museum of the U.S. Air Force;
• Assist Contracting Officers and Office of Research Technology Applications (ORTA) personnel in negotiating terms of technology transfer agreements;
• Research legal issues related to intellectual property law and rights/ownership determinations;
• Assist client in overseeing invention reporting by contractors under Bayh-Dole Act; and
• Prepare formal legal opinions based on legal research and analysis of factual situations.
- Patent Attorney at United States Air Force
- Associate Attorney at Wood, Herron, & Evans, L.L.P
7 years, 2 months at this Job
- - Planning
- Juris Doctor
- Doctor of Philosophy of Science - Biophysics
- Masters of Science - Biophysics
- - General Federation of Women
Sacramento, California (2008-present) *The Law Office of Clifford F. Rey relocated from Brattleboro, Vermont to Sacramento, California in 2011 maintaining continuous operation.
Registered Patent Attorney
• Established this Intellectual Property law practice, with strong focus on optimizing productivity, efficiency and quality of services for clients
• Prosecuted U.S. patent, trademark and copyright applications in various technologies
• Assisted outside counsel in the prosecution of patent and trademark cases rejected by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
• Rendered patent infringement opinions to outside counsel in support of litigation
• Represented clients in appeals and inter partes reviews before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board
- Registered Patent Attorney at The Law Office of Clifford F. Rey
- Intellectual Property Analyst III at The University of California, Davis
- Registered Patent Attorney/ Corporate IP Counsel at Sonnax Industries, Inc
- Registered Patent Attorney/IP Counsel at The Law Office of Clifford F. Rey
11 years, 2 months at this Job
- JD (Juris Doctor) - Law
- BA - Liberal Studies
- Bachelor's - Life Science
USA Duties include: Preparing and prosecuting U.S., PCT International applications and foreign national stage patent applications in the fields of pharmaceuticals and biotechnology, chemistry, medical devices and software systems. Overseeing and managing numerous outside counsel in US and foreign patent prosecution matters, including appeals at both the PTAB and foreign offices, as well as the preparation of patentability opinions; Drafting and revision of agreements, including patent license agreements (PLA's), biological materials licenses (BML's), Memorandums of Understanding (MoU's), Non-Disclosure Agreements, Technology Transfer Agreements, Cooperative Research and Development Agreements (CRADA's). Addressing issues arising under the Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT), including lack of unity, inventive step and industrial applicability, and counseling clients on same. Analyzing and resolving complex legal and factual issues such as obviousness, anticipation, double patenting, restriction by grouping, election of species, enablement, indefiniteness, non-statutory subject matter, and inventorship, as well as determining inventorship rights (under Bayh-Dole) for inventions made in the consequence of CRADA relationships. Working with collaborative research partners, including world leading organizations such as MIT, Johns Hopkins and NIH, on creating marketing agreements (such as inter-institutional agreements) for jointly created intellectual property. Preparing various declarations in support of patentability, including but not limited to working with inventors to design comparative tests and reviewing the results thereof, collecting evidence of inventorship and analyzing same to determine date of invention and possibility of antedating prior art, and preparing declarations in support of patentability based on the results of the above. Participating as legal representative in integrated product teams, in which therapeutics and treatment protocols are developed, including conducting clinical trials. Conducting patent, trademark and trade secret/data licensing negotiations, including assisting in negotiation of cross-licenses in patent infringement disputes. Resolving contract disputes involving IP rights. Formulating IP/business/research strategy for clients. Preparing U.S. trademark applications materials for presentation to the Department of Army TM counsel. Addressing potential TM and copyright infringement issues, scope of use discussions, etc., and developing solutions and strategies to resolve same. Determination of data rights and copyright ownership and scope for works created jointly and solely under government contract.
- Patent Attorney at U.S. Army Medical Research and Materiel Command
- Regional Intellectual Property Rights Attaché at U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Intellectual Property Advisor at Science Applications International Corporation
- Registered Patent Attorney at Law Offices of Townsend & Banta
2 years, 2 months at this Job
- Currently in biotechnology MS program - biotechnology
- JD - securities law
- Bachelors of Science - Chemistry
· Preparation of new applications in preparation for US, PCT, EPO and various other international filings. · Prosecution of numerous patents in various technology fields, including: LED laser systems, medical devices including CPAP breathing apparatus, drug mixing and delivery devices, machines such as watercraft docking/mooring systems, air and water filtration and ionization systems, as well as numerous other consumer products and devices. · Portfolio management, IP due diligence, freedom-to-operate opinions, patent landscape analysis, coordinating with and supervising foreign counsel for PCT nationalization.
- Patent Attorney at Ascentage Law PLLC
- Associate Patent Attorney at Thorpe North and Western
- Examiner at United States Patent & Trademark Office
- Extern at University of Utah Technology Commercialization Office
4 years, 9 months at this Job
- Juris Doctorate - Intellectual Property
- Bachelor's - Mechanical Engineering
• Patent and trademark litigation.
• Patent and trademark searching, opinion, and counsel services; patent and trademark prosecution.
• Accomplished transfer of extensive families of US and overseas biotech patents/applications from Fortune 100 corporate enterprise to client’s group of companies.
• Successful multi-jurisdictional enforcement of patented polymer technologies used by clients and strategic cross-license settlement that significantly enhanced commercial prospect of clients’ related businesses.
• Patent audits/valuations of patent families; strategic IP planning.
• IP Counsel to clients in a diverse range of legal matters.
- Patent Attorney at The Graham Law Firm
- Patent Attorney at Luedeka, Neely, and Graham
- Chemical Engineer at Tennessee Valley Authority
7 years, 2 months at this Job