Geisinger Sep 2015 to Jan 2018 Sr. Team Lead Jan 2018 to present Patient Financial Counselor (Certified Application Counselor PACACA5800205. Responsible for Providing coaching, mentoring and training for all team members and new hires. Required to attend leadership programs to continue further knowledge in a Senior position to enhance communication and mentoring skills. Responsible to oversee front office support for the department. Responsible for check-in, full registration and advanced scheduling of all exams such as MRI’s, CT scans, Ultrasounds, Mammograms and Stress testing in addition to resolving scheduling conflicts and template creation, maintenance and editing. Also, responsible for cash and copayment collection as well as balancing all funds daily, prepare nightly deposit to be delivered to cashier’s office. Additional responsibilities include insurance verification on all patients and assure all referrals and pre-certifications are confirmed. Currently I am a Patient Financial Counselor and I provide finance counseling either in person or via telephone for all patients for designated areas: admissions-scheduled and/or elective, in/out surgeries and/or outpatient clinical services. Provides coordination and completion of patient billing and collection functions either at the time of initial interview, prior to the services being rendered and/or after the insurance carrier has paid. Maintains a close working relationship with the staff of the assigned clinical departments, to ensure clear communication and handling of all patients’ financial needs. Provides accurate and efficient service to patients. Completes POS collections including co-payments, deductibles, and remaining estimated balances at point of service. Negotiate settlement’s within appropriate business guidelines.
- PATIENT FINANCIAL COUNSELOR at Geisinger
- Loan Servicing Collector at Citizens Savings Bank
- Patient Access Representative at Moses Taylor Hospital
- Customer Service Rep at Ehrlich Pest Control
3 years, 6 months at this Job
- - Business Finance
Patient Financial Counselor * Perform other duties as assigned by management * Conduct hardship interviews with patients as needed * Receive patient phone calls and answers their questions about invoices/statements received * Contact patients to request additional information if insurance has terminated or denied charges * Generate monthly patient statements * Process payments that come in through the mail * Research patient addresses when receiving returned mail, and works to secure accurate billing address * Contact patients with balances on a daily basis to set up payment arrangements and collect outstanding balances. If payments are not made per the arrangement, places a follow-up call and may work to set up a new payment arrangement * Analyze accounts and exhausts all other potential coverages (Medicare, Medicaid, etc.) * Maintain A/R days against Company guidelines for all self-pay accounts. Decreases A/R over 120 days * Transfer patient balances from internal collections to an outside collection agency once 90 days past due or after Company's collection efforts have been exhausted. Serves as the primary contact with outside collections agencies, answering any questions they may have. * Provide excellent customer service to all internal and external customers * Work directly with department Manager, ensuring tasks are completed and deadlines are met * Assist department Manager in process development * Perform other duties as assigned by management Experience
- Patient Financial Counselor at Advocate Medical Group
- Patient Service Representative at Advocate Ambulatory Center
- Bookkeeper/Administrative Assistant at Jager Delivery
- Self-Employed at Self-Employed
1 year, 1 month at this Job
- - Special Education
- Associate of Science
Dedicated Patient Financial Counselor with 4 years' experience in healthcare authorizations, billing, and financial assistance. Proficient in analyzing and validating patient information while maintaining strict patient and physician confidentiality. I exhibit leadership skills that enable the processing of high volumes of patient information to achieve maximum revenue goals. Patient Financial Counselor, Self Regional Healthcare, Greenwood, SC - 2014-Present Provide assistance to patients regarding medical bills. Daily communication with patients and insurance companies. Initiate Inpatient authorizations and follow ups. Review patient's medical records to assign codes to diagnoses and procedures.
- Dedicated Patient Financial Counselor at Self Regional Healthcare
- Operations Manager at Ulta
- Assistant Store Manager at Walgreens
5 years, 2 months at this Job
CAREPLEX ORTHO. ASC
• Responsible for overseeing patient accounts, including charges, payments, coordinating financial arrangements, and collections.
• Advised patients in compliance with company's policies and procedures.
• Analyzed patient financial data to determine eligibility of financial aid and assistance programs.
• Developed and distributed patient correspondence and notification protocols that increased business profits.
• Assisted patients and families in applying for charity care and other state funded programs
• Reviewed patient financial reports daily and performed follow-up with patients and coworkers as necessary
- PATIENT FINANCIAL COUNSELOR at CAREPLEX ORTHO. ASC
- HEALTHCARE ADMIN/MEDICAL ASSISTANT at Tidewater Physicians Multi-Specialty Group
- MEDICAL ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANCE, VISM at Virginia Institute for Sports Medicine
1 year, 11 months at this Job
- - MEDICAL ASSISTANT
Prior to a patient receiving treatment; educate patients on insurance coverage, benefits, co-pays, deductibles, and out of pocket expenses. Assess patient's ability to meet expenses for chemo drugs and discuss payment arrangements and provides patients with financial assistance programs based upon diagnosis. Completes Patient Cost Estimate and patient liability forms. Responsible for obtaining from Clinical Reviewer, insurance pre-authorization or approval codes prior to each treatment.
- Patient Financial Counselor 11 at Maryland Oncology Hematology Medical Center
- Patient Benefit Counselor (Admissions) at Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital
- Patient Access Representative (ER) at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital
- Registrar/Floater at John Hopkin's Bayview Hospital
9 months at this Job
- - Nursing
Explain financial responsibilities for services received, payment options and collection procedures to patients or parties responsible for payment. Counsel patients regarding insurance benefits and recommend alternative sources of payment and financial assistance when appropriate. Contact insurance carriers or other sources and act as an advocate for the patient. Initiate process for collecting prepays due and perform follow up activity to insure maximum collection is achieved. Identify hospital, public and private financial assistance programs for patients unable to meet their financial obligations. Work with Case Management, Clinical Staff, Medicaid Vendor, and Family Independence Agency to assist patients and families in completing assistance program applications and determine eligibility and coverage. Notify manager, physician and servicing department of possible delay of service for any elective, urgent admissions, procedures and scheduled diagnostic testing which have not been approved prior to the date of service. Maintain accurate documentation of pre-processing information. Provide assistance to uninsured patients and families in completing and filing Medicaid or assistance program applications with the appropriate agency. Perform all other duties and projects as assigned.
- Patient Financial Counselor at Dell Seton Medical Center
- Patient Service Representative at Urology Austin
- Patient Advocate at Cardon Outreach
- Shift-Manager at Wendy's
1 year, 10 months at this Job
- - Business Office Specialist
- High School Diploma
• Met with new patients upon first office visit. Confirm demographic information; explain insurance benefits to patient, detailing their financial responsibility, obtain necessary consent form signatures, including HIPAA and Texas Cancer Specialists policies.
• Completed authorizations as required for internal services as well as external providers.
• Responsible for monitoring and collecting the financial responsibilities of our patients. Developed a daily accounts receivable report that was resourceful for the front office staff
• Worked closely with all levels of patients care to resolve any insurance and/or self-pay issues.
• Assisted patients with utilizing resource programs available to fit their specific needs.
• Reviewed the patients' services for diagnosis and insurance coverage appropriateness.
- PATIENT FINANCIAL COUNSELOR at TEXAS ONCOLOGY PRESBYTERIAN CANCER CENTER
- BILLING COORDINATOR at PENN MEDICINE, PENNSYLVANIA ONCOLOGY HEMATOLOGY ASSOC
- HEALTH ASSISTANT at HEALTH CARE NAVIGATOR ACCOLADE
- PATIENT ACCOUNT REP SELECT MEDICAL at NOVACARE, CENTRAL BILLING OFFICE
1 month at this Job
- DIPLOMA - Medical Office Management
• Responsible for screening patients for insurance eligibility and benefits.
• Act as a resource representative when questions arise regarding registration errors, proper insurance documentation and accounting correction.
• Maintaining notes on hospital system, ongoing communication and provide updates with the billing department and social workers concerning patient's hospital accounts.
• Consult with patient on various financial options available to pay their accounts.
- Patient Financial Counselor at Osage Beach Center for Cognitive Disorders
- Functional Leader at Missouri Job Center
- Major Gift Officer - Phelps County Regional Medical Center at Phelps Regional Health Care Foundation
- Specialist/Rsa at Frito-Lay/Pepsico Corporation
1 year, 2 months at this Job
- Bachelors in Business Administration - Management
• Troubleshoot Medicare/private insurance denials. Review denials, explanation of benefits, and supporting documentation for complex products. Consult with customers on missing medical necessity, documentation and/or errors. Provide support and recommendations as well as customized appeal letters or letters of medical necessity when needed.
• Performs financial counseling process on all patients prior to treatment, which includes patient financial obligations, billing practices, and establishing payment arrangements.
• Evaluates and explains the patient's insurance benefits in terms that they understand.
• Determines need for additional coverage (underinsured) and follows Financial Assistance/Indigent Care Policy.
• Assists patients in obtaining financial assistance, outside assistance, and all appropriate forms filled out. Determines which plans are available to assist the patient with their out of pocket expenses.
• Works with pharmaceutical companies and other resources to obtain grants and financial aid for patients in need. Determines if patient qualifies for manufacturer drug replacement.
• Discusses and initiates Practice Credit Policy as well as Patient Notification of Financial Responsibility.
• Answers any questions the patient may have about reimbursement and payment.
• Provides ongoing financial communication with all patients undergoing treatment.
• Establishes payment arrangements with the patient and documents appropriately.
• Discusses payment arrangements with patients for outstanding patient balances.
• Follows policies to contribute to the efficiency of the front office.
- PATIENT FINANCIAL COUNSELOR II at CROSS MENTAL HEALTH HOSPITAL
- PATIENT FINANCIAL SERVICE REP /DENIALS & COLLECIONS SPECIALIST at Ascension Health
- Patient Account Rep/ Denials/Collections at Duke Medicine
7 years, 10 months at this Job
- - Science Management
• Checking eligibility of patient's insurance coverage and logging information into host system
• Uses automated insurance verification system and/or telephone to obtain In-Network (INN) and Out of Network (OON) benefits from Insurance Company and makes sure insurance verification information is accurate and input into PFS host system and /or scanned into patient's chart
• Determines and obtains authorizations/pre-certifications on all pre-scheduled procedures to secure reimbursement of the case
• Communicates with physician practices in a respectful and timely manner to ensure timely submission of all inquiries and questions
• Handle high volume of phone calls across all functions of financial clearance.
- Patient Financial Counselor at Nobilis Health
- Insurance Verification Representative, Parallon Business Solution at Nobilis Health
- Account/Budget Clerk II at Houston Independent School District
- Senior Accounting Clerk at Tarrant County College
1 year, 11 months at this Job
- Certificate in Accountancy Program