Indianapolis, IN (December 2016- Present) HIM Coder
• Coded Inpatient Rehabilitation Facility records using current ICD-10 and IRF-PAI coding guidelines within the timeframe established by the hospital
• Worked closely with Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Physician to determine and assign Impairment Groups for all admissions
• Conducted in-service training for both staff and physicians on coding and accurate completion of the IRF-PAI
• Transmitted IRF-PAIs to CMS within designated time frame post discharge HIM Manager & Privacy Officer
• Supervise HIM department including initial and on-going training in HIM functions
• Established and maintained policies and procedures relating to HIM and HIPAA processes
• Serve as in-house contact for all health information system questions and guidance, in addition to providing documentation education to clinical departments including Nursing, Therapy, and Physicians.
• Monitor and ensure HIPAA compliance by performing risk assessments and conducting staff education routinely
• Lead HIM Committee and report quarterly data to Quality Process Improvement Team.
- HIM Manager & Privacy Officer at COMMUNITY REHABILITATION HOSPITAL NORTH & SOUTH
- Patient Service Representative at INDIANA INTERNAL MEDICINE CONSULTANTS
2 years, 3 months at this Job
- Bachelor of Science - Health Information Management
• Developed, reviewed, and implemented information security and privacy policies.
• Performed information security risk analysis, vulnerability assessment, penetration testing, and regulatory compliance assessment service with a focus on the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) privacy and security rules. Developed remediation strategies in response to assessment results.
• Designed implementation and remediation checklist (spreadsheet) covering HIPAA, ISO 27000, and GDPR
- Privacy Officer at T1D Exchange
- Software Developer at Red e App
2 years, 2 months at this Job
Peoria, IL Jan 2016 - Present Non Profit: Autism, Medical and Rehab Therapy Vice President of Operations and Privacy Officer Responsible for leading the effective and efficient operations of the Human Resources, Scheduling, Clinical Support, Facilities and Timber Point Outdoor Center departments. This includes: financial analysis and forecasting for the entire organization, budget preparation and management, financial audit preparation, medical accreditation audit preparation, compliance, training, risk management, and the development of policies and procedures concerning employment and business practices. I am responsible for the business development, focused growth and sustainability of all Easterseals programs, as well as the HIPPA compliance and privacy functions of the organization.
- Vice President of Operations and Privacy Officer at Easterseals Central Illinois
- Chief Financial Officer at Skill Sprout
- Director of Finance at Ag Armour
- Account Specialist at Caterpillar Inc
3 years, 2 months at this Job
- B.S. - Finance Economics
* Compliance Program Development: Performed risk assessment to drive a prioritized compliance and HIPAA work plan; identified key partners, resources needed and timelines. Developed and chaired interdisciplinary Compliance Committee. Created processes for 8 required program elements, resulting in: decreased risk to the organization, increased awareness by senior leadership, improved communication and collaboration with department leadership and staff on the value of proactive compliance. * Audit Oversight: Facilitated the input of leadership, physicians, scribes, and coders to improve the documentation and audit process; resulting in maximized revenue, improved coding and billing accuracy. * HIPAA Privacy Officer: Project leader for policy development and rollout, negotiated and executed Business Associate Agreements, implemented HIPAA Privacy and EMR audits to identify and mitigate security risks and data breaches, coached managers on secure data handling and department ownership of resolutions. * Risk Management: Advised Senior Leadership on interpretation of laws, regulations and action steps to assure compliance, and improve patient safety and quality of care, in areas of: Medical record subpoenas, malpractice lawsuits, conflict of interest, language access services and non-discrimination, EMR integration, Stark Law, vendor contracts, pharmaceutical sample management, student documentation. * Leadership Development & Employee Engagement: Facilitated management team trainings on: Building trust and transparency, performance management, and accountability. Co-Chaired Employee Engagement Committee: developed employee recognition program that improved morale and rewarded employees; organized special events and community outreach activities to promote company cohesiveness.
- Compliance Manager/Officer and HIPAA Privacy Officer at Crouse Medical Practice, PLLC
- Director of Quality Improvement/Compliance Officer at ARISE, Inc
- Assistant Director of Continuous Quality Improvement at Liberty Resources, Inc
- Human Resources/Finance Associate at Liberty Resources, Inc.
3 years at this Job
- Bachelor's - Psychology; Minors in Human Development and Art Studio
Develop and administer the day to day management of the compliance program. Create,
maintain and revise policies for the organization. Investigate potential violations and ensure
proper reporting procedures. Monitor and coordinate compliance activities of all departments.
● Privacy Officer for Government Services and EU General Data Protection Regulation
● Perform auditing, regulatory inquiries, HIPAA breach reporting, hotline reviews.
● Develop compliance risk assessments, gap analysis, and monitoring.
● Manage the complaint program. Conduct investigations including tracking, reporting and recommendations for resolution. Confirm all documentation and follow up.
● Assist in providing education and training on pertinent laws and regulations.
● Ensure clear and open communication on policies and procedures, issues and other quality indicators related to continuous quality improvement and adherence to standards.
- Regulatory Compliance Specialist and Privacy Officer at International SOS
- Director of Compliance and Risk Management at Pennswood Village
- Risk and Safety Manager at Pennswood Village
- Emergency Preparedness and Mitigation Manager at American Red Cross
2 months at this Job
- Certification in Healthcare Occupational Safety Management - Certified Professional
- Certification in Leadership and Management
- B.A. - Psychology
- A.A. - Human Development
Information Technology Security Officer/Privacy Officer/Help Desk Manager (2013-Present) Directed and monitored all compliance activities for a regionally and nationally accredited home health care and tele- monitoring agency, leading all aspects of Information Technology Security and client Privacy while managing help desk and other IT priorities for Oxford Home Care and Hospice, as well as, Advanced Telehealth Solutions (ATHS). Provided top-notch quality customer service in a fast-paced environment enforcing Health Information Best Practices and assuring other electronic health information regulatory compliance, supporting the Health Insurance Portability and Accountably Act (HIPAA). Ensured help desk commitments were met for turnaround times (TAT), performance standards, program quality assurance, systems integration, and process implementation. Initiated, chaired, and managed high-profile projects assigned by Executive Director of Information Technology. Collaborated will all areas of business on operational projects to drive metrics driven results. Gathered information and coordinated resources for all projects.
• Spearheads HIPAA compliance initiatives; directed and managed compliance project from inception to completion; authored security compliance manual detailing administrative, physical, and technical governmental compliance standards, as well as National Institute of Standards of Technology (NIST) and State-level requirements.
• Manages all aspects of client privacy to include training end users on proper uses of computer and electronic equipment for uses in communicating securely with other agencies and departments.
• Directs helpdesk support to end-users using customer service skills; promotes positive image of department and communicates information effectively to appropriate related functions.
• Proactively isolates trends and determines workarounds when service upgrades or additional troubleshooting steps are required. Solves issues and makes decisions to coordinate process and projects with other departments and divisions.
• Designs and manages all aspects of HIPAA training and Corporate Compliance activities via LearnDash LMS
• Implements and trains all users in iPhone, iPad, and Toughbook computer applications for Oxford HealthCare and Hospice
- Information Technology Security Officer/Privacy Officer at Oxford Home Care and Hospice/Advanced TeleHealth Solutions
- Corporate Training and Compliance Manager at EDCO Group Inc
- Operational Analyst at
- Production Manager/Deputy Operations Manager at United States Air Force
6 years, 2 months at this Job
- M.A (In-Progress) - Distance Education and E-Learning
- B.S.O.E. - Business Administration/Information Systems Management
- A.A.S. - Occupational Education
- - Air Education and Training Command
Dallas, Texas June 2017 to Present
NuGenerex Distribution Solutions delivers unparalleled health care management services to an extensive network of top-tier ancillary service providers serving multi-specialty independent physicians to increase practice productivity and to assist in the delivery of exceptional, cost-effective patient care. Chief Compliance Officer and HIPAA Privacy Officer
• Establish industry leading Compliance and Privacy programs while supporting the needs of other executive leadership
• Direct the pharmacy credentialing and audit programs
• Provide leadership and oversight to the Information Technology department
• Meet with doctors, pharmacist and other stakeholders to enhance patient care
• Manage outside public relations initiatives
- Chief Compliance Officer and HIPAA Privacy Officer at NuGenerex Distribution Solutions
- Chief Compliance Officer and HIPAA Privacy Officer at StoneGate Senior Living
- Director of Compliance and HIPAA Privacy Officer at HMS
- Director of Compliance at Modern Medical
1 year, 9 months at this Job
- Bachelor of Arts - Political Science and Finance
- Juris Doctor
· Cerner EMR Implementation Superuser February 2019 · Physician Educator of ICD10 · HIPAA Specialist · Coordinates with Consulting companies for Reimbursement · Restructured and performed quality improvement on the Health Information Services Department and the Health Information Hospital wide policies · Quality Expert, ensures JC and CMS standards · Leadership in HIM department including workload. · Develops and Distributes analytical reports Hospital wide · Ensures patient medical records are reviewed for completeness, accuracy, and compliance · Chairs Medical Records Committee participates in Utilization Review Committee. · Maintains updated manual of all HIPAA regulations, as well as a current Health Information Services Department Manual. · HIPAA privacy officer · Update Master Patient Index with court commitments · Responsible to submit 590 claims to obtain prior authorization for procedures occurring outside the facility.
- Health Information Services Director/HIPAA Privacy Officer at Logansport State Hospital
- Program Director of Health Information Technology at Medtech College
- Center Manager at Advance America Cash Advance
3 years, 4 months at this Job
- Master of Science - Management and Leadership
- Bachelors of Science - Health Information Management
- Associate - Healthcare Administration
oversee all HIM functions to protect the security/confidentiality of patient information, including DRG/APC record coding, transcription, completion, filing, retrieval, and release of information. Manage up to 27 people. Health Information Systems Director and Privacy Officer, 10/2009 to Present; Hospital Corporator, 01/2003 to Present
• Package, abstract, and report data to State regulatory bodies, making all corrections as necessary
• Manage all privacy investigations and breach notifications; liaise with external auditors as needed
• Partner with quality, accounts receivable, and IT departments to support accurate coding, billing, and reporting
• Evaluate multiple data sources and archives for business, financial, statistical, and clinical information Organizational Leadership
• Work closely with CFO and executive consultant to guide strategic planning and manage service migration
• As Corporator, act as a community ambassador for the hospital assisting with fundraising and public outreach projects
• As a core member of the Health Information Exchange group, design and implement the local HIE, determine what information is shared with the healthcare community, and select which community partners have access to PHI
• Establish and revise hospital-wide policies to ensure compliance with constantly-evolving laws and guidelines
• Leverage vast amounts of digital health data and research to recommend methods to improve care delivery Key Achievements
• Developed internal strategies and structure for growth by defining county-wide patient capture areas and data policy
• Eliminated need for weekend/evening transcription staff (reducing head count from 27 to 12) by introducing new technology to scan medical records, enabling providers to instantly access protected health information via EHR
• Reduced dept. costs and turnaround time (TAT) for information sharing by outsourcing data entry to external vendor
• Core team member for transition from paper-based to electronic documentation; managed all change and user training
- Health Information Managment Director & Privacy Officer at DAY KIMBALL HEALTHCARE
- Health Information Management Supervisor at
- District Manager at RECORDEX SERVICES, INC
9 years, 5 months at this Job
- - Certificates
- Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management - Health Information Management
As the System VP, Compliance and Privacy Officer (CCO), oversaw the Corporate Compliance Department for a system that involved approximately 9,000 employees and thousands of providers. The Compliance Department functions as an independent and objective body that reviews and evaluates compliance and privacy issues/concerns within the organization. The Department includes Privacy, Health Plans Compliance, Health Services Compliance and a Special Investigation Unit (SIU) that is tasked with detecting and preventing healthcare Fraud, Waste and Abuse. SIU saved in excess of $3M on one matter alone in 2018. The CCO is the Chief Compliance/Privacy Officer for all entities of the Health First system, including but not limited to Health First Health Plans, Inc. (Medicare products), Health First Insurance, Inc., Health First Administrative Plans, Inc., Health First Commercial Plans, Inc., Health First Medical Group, LLC, Holmes Regional Medical Center, Palm Bay Hospital, Viera Hospital and Cape Canaveral Hospital. I was responsible for identifying, evaluating and reporting to the Board and CEO on privacy/FWA/compliance risks in a manner that meets compliance and regulatory requirements and aligns with corporate policy in supporting the risk posture of the enterprise. The department has a substantial budget. Re-Designed and changed the culture of the Compliance Department, including implementation of an annual maturity review, use of FairWarning privacy auditing tool, cross training Compliance and Privacy associates and elevating the education program.
- System Vice President/ Chief Compliance & Privacy Officer at Health First, Inc
- Vice President/ Corporate Attorney at Health First
- Corporate Attorney at Health First
- Hospital Attorney at Health First
3 years, 1 month at this Job