Summary: I currently work in the field of starch-based superabsorbent polymers. Reporting to the VP of R&D, I develop analytical techniques to characterize incoming materials and outgoing products. These techniques involve wet chemical and instrumental procedures. I also investigated new synthesis pathways and worked with process engineers to scale-up. I have implemented several SOPs. I advise the senior technical staff on regulatory filings associated with our product. I advised the company's management on lab infrastructure and safety operations, train junior research associates, and am the custodian of approximately $70,000 worth of instrumentation.
Skills Obtained or Developed:
• GC method development
• Titration method development
• Karl Fischer titration
• FT-IR spectroscopy
• Extrusion and fluidized bed techniques SOP writing
• Project management
• Mentoring junior research associates
• Communication with co-workers with different technical backgrounds, as well as business management and marketing professionals within the company
• Communication and coordination with external vendors and service technicians
- Process Chemist at Tethis, Inc
- Graduate Teaching Assistant at North Carolina State University
- Chemist I at Maryland Department of Agriculture
- Grocery Clerk at Nick's of Calvert
1 year, 7 months at this Job
- Master of Science - Organic Chemistry
- PhD - Molecular Design
My roles as a Process Chemist re to go into the field, collect samples of raw materials, intermediates, and finished products as well as inspect samples to see if they meet specifications and make changes if needed by using lab equipment and several formulas. I'm also responsible for the general upkeep of the laboratory and its equipment.
- Process Chemist at GCC Rio Grande
- Quality Control Lab Technician at Turnkey Processing Solutions
7 months at this Job
- Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering - Chemical Engineering
* Optimized the enzymatic process to produce cellulosic sugars from biomass using statistical DOE (150 mL) and transferred this improved method to the pilot plant (up to 5000 gallons scale). * Reduced the cost to produce cellulosic sugar by removing unnecessary process steps and starting materials and increasing sugar yields. * Worked closely with the microbiology group to scale up (100, 300 and 5000 gallon) bio processes * Lead scientist on several development projects. Directed the laboratory work of a chemical technician. * Wrote batch records for the pilot plant production of small molecules from bio-based feed stock * Reviewed executed batch records and compiled in-process analytical data. This resulted in an improved understanding of each pilot plant run allowing for higher success rates in the plant. * Contributed to the downstream purification of low molecular weight acids using Ultra filtration, cation and anion exchange chromatography and electrodialysis. * Achieved downstream purification of several small molecules utilizing chemical transformation, distillation and crystallization methods * Familiar with and capable of operating large scale upstream and downstream equipment including 100-5000 gallon reactors, plate and frame and belt presses to remove large solids with and without flocculating compounds, ultra-filtration units (utilizing spiral and tubular membranes), resin bed skid (cationic and anionic resins), forced circulation evaporator skid, distillation/rectification ethanol skid * Experienced in modern analytical tools for compound identification including 1H and 13C NMR spectroscopy, Waters HPLC and Agilent AP-AES * Performed DOE to determine/improve impurity profile, of the xylose to xylitol conversion using a nickel based catalyst utilizing the HEL FloCat (continuous flow system) * Co-Directed a weekly pilot plant meeting to ensure smooth operation of multiple campaigns in the plant
- Senior Process Chemist at Xyleco, Inc
- Principal Research Associate at
- Senior Research Associate at
- Research Associate, drug discovery at Genzyme Corporation
5 years at this Job
- M.S. - Organic Chemistry
- B.A. - Chemistry
I am responsible for the manufacturing of small molecules, platinum catalysts, and polymers. In my time here I have scaled up four processes, and improved the yield on two more.
- Process Chemist at UCT Inc
- Process Chemist at Gelest Inc
- Research Assistant at Temple School of Pharmacy
6 months at this Job
- Bachelors of Science in Biochemistry - Biochemistry
- High school diploma
o Actively promote the identified opportunities for adding value to downstream purification process by reducing unit operations and waste streams by working with engineering team and supported recommendation with laboratory-scale research and analytical results. o Synthesize polyesters resins with dicyclopentadiene, diol, dicarboxylic acid, and maleic anhydride and further functionalizing for formulation to a variety of applications including coatings, UV curable, and printing. o Produce polyester resins with isosorbide, diol, and dicarboxylic acid to improve toughness of subsequent polymer blends including formulations appropriate for injection molding and 3D printing. o Offer expertise in other polymer formulations including polyurethanes (both rigid and foams), poly(lactic acid), resins from vegetable oil, and poly(acrylic acid). o Provide sales team requested samples including customer specific formulation of polymer polyols. o Communicate sound scientific results and ideas to grow the company's intellectual property assets through patent composition and submission with internal IP council. o Continue all previous duties described below.
- Senior Process Chemist at PTTGC Innovation America Corporation
- Process Chemist at PTTGC Innovation America Corporation
- Postdoctoral Researcher at LSU AgCenter, Audubon Sugar Institute
- Graduate Assistant at Louisiana State University and Agricultural and Mechanical College
1 year, 3 months at this Job
- Ph.D. - Macromolecular Studies
- - Teaching
- B.S. - mathematics
I am in charge of analytically testing, preparing, reporting, and interpreting results of a large amount of customer samples. I was working independently on many projects and was trusted to complete all tasks by assigned due dates. I oversee my own team and training new employees. This work was mostly wet chemistry involving analysis of precious metals. Training and running of instrumentation including ICP, ICP-MS, AA. Along with minor instrumentation usage of pH meters, titrators, different types of balances and maintenance Worked on helping the new refinery rig to get up and running. Looked at refining process and optimized the chemistries to fit the processes. Setting up and developing new methods and instrumentations for refinery to use. Ran large scale reactors along with training Union operators. Did hazard studies and safety studies on new pieces of equipment. Currently the Chairman of the Disabilities group for Johnson Matthey company wide
- Analytical Chemist/Process Chemist/Chairman at JOHNSON MATTHEY
- Laboratory Technician at KELLY SERVICES
4 years, 9 months at this Job
- Bachelor of Science - medical chemistry
- Associate of Science - Chemistry
• Conducted periodic batch runs to ensure process conformation and uniformity
• Performed experiments on laboratory scale to evaluate root cause analysis of failed batches
• Performed scale-up research for tech transfer from lab to manufacturing plant
• Analyzed samples using thin layer chromatography, UV spectroscopy, near infrared spectroscopy, and gas chromatography
- Research and development (R&D) Process Chemist at Rank Organics Chemical Ltd
- Summer research and development (R&D) Intern at IPCA Laboratories Ltd
11 months at this Job
- Master of Science in Chemical and Biochemical Engineering - Chemical and Biochemical Engineering
- - Chemical
● Prepare budgets for extraction operations.
● Assess feasibility of extraction business and market demand.
● Develop or implement policies, standards, and procedures for extraction work.
● Evaluate environmental regulations or social pressures related to environmental issues to inform strategic or operational decision-making.
● Plan or direct the installation, testing, operation, maintenance, or repair of extraction facilities and equipment.
● Oversee Extraction, polishing and packaging of extracts for medical cannabis patients
● Maintain knowledge of cannabis regulation related to extraction processes and operations
- Extraction Process Chemist at Green Hills Technology
at this Job
- Navy Nuclear Power School - Nuclear Power Systems
• Purified low molecular weight organic acids using conventional and bipolar electrodialysis on liter-scale to 1000-gallon scale.
• Piloted methods for utilizing low molecular weight acids produced in-house.
• Researched methods for isolation and purification of small organic molecules from aqueous fermentation broths, including pervaporation and simulated moving bed chromatography.
• Investigated the preparation of metal catalysts on alumina supports aimed at the reduction of carboxylic esters, and for the oxidation of alpha-hydroxy carboxylates to alpha-keto carboxylates.
- Senior Process Chemist at Xyleco Corporation
- Staff Scientist II at Genzyme Corporation
- Staff Scientist I at
6 years at this Job
- M. S. - Organic Chemistry
Primarily responsible for the separation and purification of sugars and fermentation products derived from cellulosic materials. Developed novel techniques for work up isolation and purification of cellulosic products
• Developed Simulated Moving Bed (SMB) methods to separate monosaccharides from undesirable cellulosic by-products using Semba Biosciences Octave 100 and 300 chromatography systems Xyleco Inc. has filed several patents based on this work
• Ran numerous saccharifications/fermentations at the 50 liter to 5000 gallon scale
• Familiar with CIP and SIP cleaning procedures
• Performed micro, ultra and nano filtration using Membrane Specialists modular tubular and spiral units
• Operated pressure reactors: HEL FlowCAT mini fixed bed reactor; Parr reactors: 300 mL, 1 liter and 5 gallon scale for hydrogenation, esterification and lactic acid to lactide
• Crystallization studies performed with Mettler Toledo EasyMax 402 and FBRM
• Operated New Brunswick bench top fermentators (bioflo 115) up to 20 liter
• Responsible for developing, updating and maintaining cleaning documents for the pilot plant
• Worked closely with biologists in a proactive attempt to streamline biological processes at 100 to 5000 gallon scale
• Commissioned various pilot plant equipment including: ◦ 2 cubic meter scale ISMB (improved simulated moving bed, Ameridia/Eurodia) ◦ Single effect forced circulation evaporator ◦ 200 liter Still Dragon 10 plate ethanol still
- Senior Process Chemist at Xyleco, Inc
- Senior Process Chemist at PCI Synthesis
- Process Chemist at Borregaard Synthesis
- Shift Supervisor at Poly Organix
7 years at this Job
- B.S. - Chemistry